SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories

DaveG is offline Time to open shop
    From
    Atlanta

Default 1100 STX - swap from choke to primer ????'s

I've got a '98 1100STX that has been hard to start since I got it. From my reading, I understand that this is pretty common.
    My questions are:
    What all is involved in switching to a primer kit?
    Is it possable to install a primer and still use the factory choke?
    Where is a good place to get the kit?
    With three carbs, how many kits do I need? (do you only do 1 carb?, does the kit come with the stuff for all 3? or do you have to buy 3?)
    About how much do they cost?
    Will it really help?
    How complicated is it to start with a primer installed? (the wife is not real mechanical,if you know what I mean, more of a plug in the key & push the start button kind of girl)
    Thanks
    Dave
    Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Antwon is offline Pro racer
    From
    Indiana

Default Re: 1100 STX - swap from choke to primer ????'s

Dave, a primer is a quick way to get fuel into your engine for a quick start. If you decide to go that way, the chokes usaully come off, one hole gets a plug and the other a fitting for the primer. The holes I'm talking about are the ones left after you remove your choke plate shafts. The screws are a little hard to remove because they are designed to stay put. I usually mount the primer where the choke knob was. You can get a kit for 1,2 or 3 carbs . The pice goes up a little for each. You could prime just one carb but it's not a great idea. For price, ask your dealer.

1100 stxer is offline Factory sponsored
    From
    Atascocita/Humble Texas

Talking Re: 1100 STX - swap from choke to primer ????'s

I have a 97' kawasaki 1100 stx that had a primer kit installed on it when I bought the ski about a year ago. I have never had a problem starting the ski. I see posts all the time about hard starting skis. I recomend the primer kit to all. I do not know how much they are, but there is not much to them so they should be less than $50.00 for a three carb kit. It also looks very simple to install. You must remove the flame arrestors and see where the choke is, the primer kit goes in where the holes are for the choke (once you remove the choke) from there you tap into the fuel line with plastic tubing and attach the pump in place of the choke knob. Like I said it looks like a fairly simple project. Good luck to ya'

fmech is offline Got the need 4 speed
    From
    Oak Forest Il

I put the primer kit on last summer and it made a WORLD of difference
    my ski was taking about 10 minutes of steady cranking!!
    The kit cost about 36.00 they supply you with all of the plugs tees tubing etc to do it . When I got my kit one of the tees was cracked so I at first just did carb # 1 & 3 but the # 2 cyl tended to foul the plug until the engine got going and warmed up so I picked up the second tee and installed it. all ok after that
    they generally want to know what carbs you have mikuni or ??? so they can give you the right kit
    total install time was about 1 1/2 hrs pulling the choke button and cabling was a pain in the ***
    the instructions are included and if your reasonably mechanical its no prob.
    when you do start it with the primer make sure that the gas sel sw is on
    pump it 4-5 times and start like normal. as soon as it catches it may run for a couple of seconds and then die. you have to keep the revs up just a bit and as it starts to die give a squirt or two to keep it running until the fuel is flowing to the carb from the tank usually takes about 30-45 seconds until its on its own
    Dave

DaveG is offline Time to open shop
    From
    Atlanta

Thanks guys, good info.....I'll probably switch to primers, all that cranking & cranking & cranking & cranking cannot be good for the starter.

The ski is at the lake an hour & a half away, it's a '98 1100 STX that's bone stock. I think the carbs are Mikuni but I'm not sure. Will the dealer know? I'm assuming any Kawi dealer can get the kit for me.
    Thanks for the info and help so far.
    Dave
    Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Thread Information