SBT FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT FAQ

What does exchange pricing mean? That means that the listed price is the effective price when the customer returns his old engine/core to SBT (for exchange).

Do I have to send my engine to SBT first? No, we have a very large inventory of engines. You will return the core in the box that the new engine came in, up to 2 weeks later.

What is a core? The core is your old engine.

How long do I have before I must return the core to SBT? The core must be shipped back to SBT within two weeks of receiving the new engine. A late fee of $100 per week applies to cores that are not returned in a timely manner.

Do I have to pay a core deposit up front? No, that is one of the strong selling points of our program. All that is required is a major credit card as security. We do not charge the card for the core unless the core is late.

What if I do not have a credit card? You can send your core in to SBT up front.

Can I upgrade to a larger engine? No. Our program is designed to exchange "apples for apples". If we made it inexpensive to upgrade, we would only have the smaller engines that are less popular (and nobody wants) in inventory.

What if I don't have a core? If you do not have a core, we recommend that you explore other alternatives to SBT. Other companies, such as OEM dealers and salvage yards, can offer more economical solutions.

How do I know if my core is good? A core is good if it does not have any broken aluminum. Broken aluminum is typically the result of a rod being "thrown". By turning the engine upside down, you will most often be able to detect if a rod has penetrated or cracked the case. The condition of the sleeves, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and oil seals does not matter.

What is included in your engine? The engines basically include case, crank, cylinders, head, and head cover. Polaris 700 and 1050's include the red head covers. The 785 and 951 Sea-Doo engines also include the RAVE valve guillotine and body (not the black plastic cap and clip). The Yamaha's include the engine saddles.

Do you test the engines? The engines undergo a four-point test program. Case and waterside pressure retention is tested by installing block-off plates on the engines and measuring leak down rates. Compression and squish is verified to be within the OEM guidelines by turning the engine over at starter speed.

Are your engines painted to match factory colors? Yes, they are painted to the most recent color scheme used by the OEM for that engine.

What parts are replaced on an SBT engine? Each SBT engine contains new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, seals, and gaskets. The pistons are SBT's own line of high silicon, hardened, cast aluminum and are made to the OEM specifications.

What do you charge for damage to a core? The welding charges for broken aluminum can be seen here: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/welding.pdf

What do you charge for missing parts on the core? The price list for missing parts on the core is here:
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/replacement_charges.pdf

Do you do international sales? Yes, see International Sales:
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/intlsales.htm

How much is shipping? See the Shipping Table: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/rates.htm

How long does it take the new engine to get here? One to three days FedEx.

How long is the warranty for engines? The warranty is a one or two year no-fault warranty. See Engine Warranty: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/w_policy.htm

What do I do if I have a warranty question? Call us and ask for the warranty department at 1-877-330-0231. Do not disassemble the engine or return it to SBT without a claim number. Please read the instructions in your owner's manual.

What parts do I keep and what parts do I send in with my core? Please see Core Description: http://www.shopsbt.com/program.htm#cores

How do I know which rotary valve cover I have? Remove the intake cover such that the part bolting to the case is singular and about one inch thick. It says made in Austria on the inside surface and we need the number under that text.

Should I use an oil-block off? Oil-Block off kits are recommended for use by SBT on skis more than 7 years old with normal use, to insure your engine always receives the proper lubrication. Common failures on engines include lack-of-lubrication seizures due to failed oil pumps, breaks in lines, leaks, etc. Running a pre-mix oil/gasoline mixture solves this problem.

Do Polaris’ need an extra fuel pump? Yes on 650 and 750s. Those fuel systems are designed poorly, where the carb furthest from the fuel pump (#1) gets the least amount of fuel. By installing a second fuel pump that goes to the (#1) carb you eliminate that problem.

What do I coat the new gaskets with? We use Permatex Hi-tach on all paper gaskets. We use Permatex Copper Gasket on all metal, head, and exhaust gaskets. We use Permatex The Right Stuff between the cases.

Do I reuse any gaskets/o-rings? No, o-rings and gaskets are stress-once componenets, and you risk part failure by re-using any of them.

Can your heads be machined? Yes, there are no issues with doing so.

What is the best oil to run? The manufacturers recommended oil is the best, consult your original users manual.

How do I remove my PTO/flywheel? Refer to install guide for your specific engine.

How do I align the new engine? For Sea-Doos, we rent and sell the alignment tool. It is a $75 rental for 30 days, $150 to purchase. For all other manufacturers, download an installation guide from our Technical section, here. At the end, in the installation instructions, is step-by step instructions for shimming the engine.

How do I charge my battery? Take the battery out of the ski. If you have filler caps, remove them. Use of an automatic charger with a 2A cyle is recomended, otherwise use a trickle charger, following the guidelines in it's instruction manual - you will need to monitor the specific gravity of the battery during charge if you do so manually.

Do your engines work well with mods? Yes, but any internal engine mods will void the warranty.

What is the problem with SD 951 water ingestion? Sea-Doo 951 had a poorly designed flame arrester that sucked in water. Sea-Doo fixed it by putting deflectors on the flame arrester. The 951 also had a problem with the joint between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. If it did leak it would onto the carbs. Sea-Doo tried to cure this by putting a boot around the joint. 2001 models have an o-ringed joint.

Do you do aftermarket work? No, we only run our own production line work.

Can you mill my head? No, we do not do individual parts work.

Where can I get insurance? Many private insurance agencies offer PWC insurance. Check your local yellow pages. Major national sources include SkiSafe, BoatUS and Progressive.
    Last edited by ; 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM. Reason: Updated
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.
Working...
X