This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your SBT Alignment Tool

I have been working on 02 4-Tec rebuild since last winter. Rebuild went very smoothly. I decided to purchase everything I needed in the winter and didn't get around to the alignment until some time later (for obvious reasons). After experiencing a lot of drive line noise, I did some searches and found a case where someone here had checked the run-out on one, and found it to be out of the seadoo specification (not sure what that is). I called SBT and was told that I was outta luck because too much time had past since I purchased the alignment device. It had 0.050" run-out. I have meticulously taken care of the shaft so I know it was shipped out of specification from SBT. I am past being upset about a defective alignment rod now. I just wanted to warn people that are purchasing to check the run-out immediately when you receive the alignment shaft. There ARE problems with the tolerances of the device SBT sells.

Re: Check your SBT Alignment Tool

Please call SBT Monday and ask for Ericka ext.203, I am sure we can come to a resolution on this matter.
    Ericka Buczkowski
    SBT

Comment

SBT has agreed to check their existing stock of alignment shafts and check to see if they were within specification. I also look forward to them telling me what the runout tolerance should be. If they find issues in inventory, they said they would stand behind their product. I will retract this post if that turns out to be the case. Just trying to generate a trail for everyone here to follow, we will see what customer service SBT truely has in place.

Comment

We measured 10 alignment tools randomly pulled from stock. We also measured an OE we have in stock for comparison.
        The OE measure 0.008 runout in the last 24" (what is typically the length touching inside the ski)
        Our average alignment tool measured 0.006 with a variation of +/- 0.008.
        When we dropped one tool for experimental purposes (standing it up straight and letting it fall and bounce until it stopped) - it ended up 0.030 out, so we know they can be knocked out of alignment (needless to say, that tool has been "retired"). If the 0.050 runout you measure was from end to end, then any drop or hit could cause runout to shift by that much.

NOTE: Our tools have a hole in the end so that they can be hung to keep them straight.
        Ericka Buczkowski
        SBT

Comment

Thanks Erica. Sounds like no problems at the factory with the tools. Were some of these returned tools so that you could validate the capability of the shipping process. I know you use foam, but I can still assure you that my tool was not dropped by me. So if the problem doesn't exist at SBT, the only other option is a shipping issue. While my shaft was encased in foam, it was still quite loose in the package.

I guess my call for "check your tools" is still appropriate. There has to be a problem in the system somewhere.

Comment

Closing thread.
            Ericka Buczkowski
            SBT

Comment

Working...
            X