650sx Overheating/Exhaust Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650sx Overheating/Exhaust Issues

I took out my "new" '87 650sx yesterday and things were going excellent until about 30 minutes or so into the ride. I launched the ski at a boat ramp and took a ride out of the marina which was about 15-20 minutes or so at a idle/high idle. I got out of the marina and started running the ski pretty hard at near full throttle without any issues. At one point, I reached down and felt the pisserS and noticed the water coming out was starting to get on the "hot" side. The previous owner installed dual cooling lines, so I have two pissers. I kept going and stopped for a second until it idled and died.

At the time it died, there was steam and a little bit of water coming from I think I remember it was the bottom pisser, which is connected to my westcoast pipe. But the water coming from the top pisser (from the engine head) was on the warm side also.

I started it again and it would start up then I'd immediately try to throttle and it would die right away. I started it up again, then it was the same thing. Over a period of time, I could start it and keep it at idle so I could get back to the boat ramp, which was about a mile or so. Eventually I could get it back to a high idle as time went on, but not full throttle. It seemed as time went on and the cooler it got, I could run it a little harder.

I got back to the ramp and took a look at it and didn't see any immediate problems. The aftermarket inline fuel filter setup looked ok and I really don't think it is a fuel issue. The engine was pretty hot as was the pipe. I took it back home and the next day I saw a small hole in one of the hoses connected to the nipple after the cone on the pipe, so I switched that out and ran it with a flush kit.

This was the next day, so the engine obviously was cold. The top pisser from the head was running cool but the bottom pisser (connected to the nipple on the pipe between the cone and the exhaust hose leading to the waterbox) would sputter a little water out along with exhaust. I'm wondering if this is the problem...if not, what could it be?

Also, too, I THINK I remember the spark plugs being a bit wet. The plugs are old and do need to be changed. Is it possible that the plugs aren't sparking well and the engine would flood after 20-30 minutes or so?

Everything was running great until it got hot, had some steam from the pissers and tried to run it at full throttle...it'd die out immediately and got better as it cooled off. As I'd throttle it, I could see fuel drain past the fuel filter and almost leave it dry. Then I'd release the throttle and fuel would return. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I don't think so. Any ideas??? Help!!

Thanks.
Working...
X