1998 Kawasaki 900 STX no/weak spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Kawasaki 900 STX no/weak spark

Hello, I've got a 1998 Kawasaki 900 STX. I picked it up from a friend a couple years ago after he broke a rod and had it take out half the motor. I bought used case halves, new Hot Rods crank, .030 over pistons, new bearings and seals. I ran it last summer and this summer up to this point. It has always run decent, but has had a slight miss at idle and never hits the RPM on the top end that it should. I went to take it out this past weekend and it wouldn't start. I pulled the plugs and they were wet. I checked spark and had none on cylinder 1 and 2, and just a very weak spark on 3.

Last night, I got out the multimeter and checked resistance on the pickup coil, stator windings, and between plug wires and everything checks out within spec. I replaced the rectifier and checked all the connections in the electrical box. Still no spark on 1 and 2 and weak in 3.

I'm hoping that someone out can point me in the next direction. Thanks in advance.

If you measure voltage at the battery while cranking the engine, what do you get?

Comment

It measures 12.4V static and 11.6V when cranking.
      I will say that I watched a YouTube video of the same ski and it cranked over 4x faster than mine does.

Comment

Working...
      X