2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc EFI won't rev in water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc EFI won't rev in water

Customer dropped the machine off this afternoon. Complains that the machine will rev fine on the hose, but in the water it won't rev or won't achieve full rev. Since seeing this issue with the older SL900 machines, I am inclined to believe it is the stator/CDI unit that is failing.

Customer just bought the machine used, and said that it sat for about 18months+ prior to his purchase of the machine. With this info I am inclined to go over everything from fuel presure, injector check, collapsed exhaust connections, etc. prior to performing electrical checks, or stator testing. Based on the fact that it will rev freely (I plan to verify in the morning) on the hose, and won't rev loaded (impeller in water), I am very inclined to go straight to ignition testing. Since I am fairly new to these machines in general, I would like to hear from those with wisdom and experience as to a direction to look in.

Doc

Re: 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc EFI won't rev in water

compression check then fuel pressure check, 22 psi to the injectors.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc EFI won't rev in water

Well, I found a major issue, so the no rev situation kinda took a back burner. First two cylinders showed 140-145psi. Pulled the plug on the third cylinder, and the plug looked like the day it came out of the box. Nice clean white center insulator. No oil, no nothing on it.....not one spec. Compression test showed 0psi. I have never seen a cylinder NOT at least bump the needle, but I guess there is a first for everything.

My guess is the previous owner had the number 3 injector fail and kept pushing the engine. I informed my customer t would need at least one injector, and a top end job at minimum. I have no idea what the rod sideplay will reveal beyond the top end, but hopefully for the owner the crank isn't damaged from lack of lube too.

Comment

Working...
      X