95XP Starting issue - MPEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95XP Starting issue - MPEM?

My 95 XP 720cc, with no DESS, has an issue when I try to start it. When the start/stop button is pressed, I sometimes have to hold the it in for a variable amount of time before it will "turn on" control power and start. It exhibits the same symptoms with or without the lanyard attached. Obviously when the lanyard is not atached the engine doesn't start, but the fuel/oil and VTS guages indicate that they have power after the delay. Once started, it runs great.
    History:
    Original owner, never flooded

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot the problem at hand:
    All conductivity and voltage tests were done with my FLUKE 75 DMM

1)I replaced the original MPEM with a supposed working "USED" one. Original checked out fine on resistance values as does the replacement. Have verified proper voltage at the MPEM Red wire (+12VDC)ring terminal. Checked continuity to ground on black wire ring terminal (See note 2) . No Fuses were ever blown at any time in either unit.

2)Checked/cleaned the ground wire from the battery to the motor block. See item 5 below also.

3)Replaced the start/stop switch (Original was not bad, but did it anyway). Checked continuity across switch when disconnected, and continuity to ground post in electrical box when connected to MPEM.

4)Verified operation of the lanyard switch even though this can be eliminated from being suspect. It can be eliminated because the "intermittent delay" happens with or without lanyard attached. Note the engine will start when the lanyard is present.

5)Tried running a seperate ground wire from the battery negative post to ground post in electrical box.

6)Tried disconnecting the Magneto connections to the rectifier for the heck of it.

7)Tried disconnecting connections to VTS, as my VTS has not worked for some time now. When it failed it did not blow any fuses in the original MPEM, nor have any blown in the replacement MPEM.

8) Have not replaced starter solenoid, because it functions correctly and the starter engages correctly once the system wakes up. But I did check connections.

Observation here only -
    It acts like there is a capacitor in the MPEM that has to charge before it will turn on. Most of the time if, I stop and restart it fairly quickly it will re-start without the delay. If I wait too long it seems like that capacitor drains it's charge and then I am back to the wait game. The delay time is not consistant either.

I don't think that the MPEM "checks" anything before switching on power to the guages and/or energizing the starter solenoid. This was confirmed by a Sea-Doo Tech at a dealer near KY lake.

My only concern here is that the MPEM swap should have solved the issue, but both do the same thing. I hate to buy a "NEW" third MPEM at $335 and still be faced with the same problem.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by 95xp-srm; 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM.
Working...
X