SBT rocks -customer service and tech support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT rocks -customer service and tech support

I bought a 2002 GTX LTD 4-Tec a total wreck, sat is salt water for weeks, may have sucked in some water, a mess.

I was told it was a bad starter, put in the SBT (very quick customer service thanks). A buddy came over and said that the new starter must be trash as it still would not turn the engine over.

So, I called SBT to discuss the starter and they offered to send me a new one but asked me to discuss my problem with their techs to avoid mailing starters back and forth. I described my problem (at least the one with the jetski ) and in about 2 seconds he told me that his guess was that the timing was off. He told me about the 2 locking holes and outlined what I needed to do.

As I started working I was confused between the 2 plugs and I called him back and he straightened me out.

The timing was off by 3 or 4 teeth. Adjusted it, put the whole thing back together and it STARTS and RUNS, Yeah! I have not idea who the timing got off, my guess is that someone before me put in a new timing chain and never set the timing in the first place. Any other ideas?

The amazing thing here is that if I spent the $400 on the OEM starter who could I have called to diagnose the real issue with the starting. Pretty good service in my book for a $150 part.

Off to make my parts list to finish the rebuild (steering, pump, hood strut, etc.) Bought the new display on ebay today. I can tell you I will buy everything on the list that I can from SBT. I can almost feel that first wave....
Working...
X