Hull protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hull protection

Has any one tried Line ex truck bed protection on the bottom of their jetski?

Re: Hull protection

Really bad idea.

One, it wouldn't stay.

Two, you'd be a lot slower and handle like crap.

Why would you want to anyway?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I use my Ski's in the river a lot all year round and I usually total them in no time flat. I use over a gallon of SMC Resin a year on my jet ski's.. I am also looking @ http://www.eclecticproducts.com/coatit.htm. It says it is made of Graphite and creates slip and lubricity when the boat comes into contact with rocks, gravel or shrubs as well as protects boats from damage.

Comment

Well, no coating you apply to the hull is going to be a magic barrier. The short answer is, use the ski properly, in sufficeint depth of water. The hulls will not tolerate abuse no matter what they are covered with.

I would suggest a small aluminum boat for durability.

I got your pics:
        Attached Files
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hmmm ok so all is well maybe

One of my 96 GSX's is under a log in the river again. Might be lost forever this time. It has 2 spare pumps and drive shafts trapped with it.

SPX is not suited for winter river runs.
          I drilled many holes in 1 eighth inch thick piece of plate steel and put it in key areas a lot of hammering and shaping. Major pain in the rear. I have really changed the ride on the skis but seem to be less prone for big holes. Another problem area I have not been able to cure is holes in the intake area. This winter will be a real R&D round for what I was able to come up with during the summer. I am thinking of plating with 22 gauge sheet metal. I have lost probably 8-10 mph but I am not leaving a ski on the river bank to retrieve it with a jet sled later. The motors have been real sturdy. Both are SBT rebuilds. One was submerged for 5 days flushed the motor out with 2 cycle oil thinned with gas. Pulled gas tank out emptied it flushed fuel lines and pulled starter to make sure the front end of the motor was dry. Checked all electrical boxes. put together cranked about 8 cycles and started up no problems. 30 hours later still running strong 150 compression both cylinders. So the coat it from goop works very well for maintenance of the bottom of the ski. I recommend it.

Comment

Is it true that the truck bed cover protection like Line-X can be a good alternative? They problem with the line-X is that it's a poly-based product. Jet skis need an epoxy-based resin and the poly ones may not stick well enough. However, some people say that it can lessen the drag because water likes to stick to smooth surfaces. The roughness may provide a trubulent zone around the bottom of the hull, basically water flows over water better than over anything else. But then, the weight may negate the benefits of it.

Comment

Working...
            X