No Spark - 1997 Yamaha GP1200 Non-PV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark - 1997 Yamaha GP1200 Non-PV

Ok so was out on the ski a few weekends ago following this huge yacht in Tampa bay and jumping the waves, which ultimately resulted in a cooling line coming loose off the head and water being pumped into the hull. Fortunately I was able to beach the ski and drain the water out that had risen to about midway up the magneto box. I towed the ski to the trailer and got the thing home. I noticed that I was not getting a spark, so I pulled the magneto box off and found the stator corroded, so I got some sandpaper and cleaned everything up / put it back together. The ski started, so I covered it and put it up.Two weeks later I tried to start the ski and it wouldn't start. Removed the magneto cover and sanded everything again, cleaned it up, and put it back together. Still no spark. Got my hands on a multi-meter and with a phone call to SBT was advised to check the triggers (the little black satellite things that surround the stator) that have an ohm reading of around 250-325 (if I am remembering correctly), so I was able to test the OHM on the triggers. This was my first time messing with a multi-meter, so I just set it in the ohm reader brackets @ a value of 2k. I was consistently getting .300-.312 on the triggers with one of them reading .380-.385. Fortunately, a friend of mine had a parts ski so I snagged a magneto box and swapped out one of the triggers. Still no spark. I'm pretty sure I am reading the multi-meter right if the tolerance is set at 2k then .300 would be 300. The unit is a Klein tools MM300.Any ideas ? Sorry to re-hash the whole situation, just wanted to make sure I included all the details. I'm thinking I could have possibly screwed up and sabotaged the triggers with the sandpaper? lol. If that's the case, I could go ahead and swap the other two triggers. Wasn't exactly sure how distance-sensitive those things are in relation to the stator. I can definitely see a difference in how far the little metal knob protrudes from the trigger on a non-tampered unit. I attached a pic of the stator style that I have.

Thanks a lot !

Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 2stroker1200; 09-17-2018, 07:31 PM. Reason: pic

Re: No Spark - 1997 Yamaha GP1200 Non-PV

Originally posted by 2stroker1200 View Post
    Ok so was out on the ski a few weekends ago following this huge yacht in Tampa bay and jumping the waves, which ultimately resulted in a cooling line coming loose off the head and water being pumped into the hull. Fortunately I was able to beach the ski and drain the water out that had risen to about midway up the magneto box. I towed the ski to the trailer and got the thing home. I noticed that I was not getting a spark, so I pulled the magneto box off and found the stator corroded, so I got some sandpaper and cleaned everything up / put it back together. The ski started, so I covered it and put it up.Two weeks later I tried to start the ski and it wouldn't start. Removed the magneto cover and sanded everything again, cleaned it up, and put it back together. Still no spark. Got my hands on a multi-meter and with a phone call to SBT was advised to check the triggers (the little black satellite things that surround the stator) that have an ohm reading of around 250-325 (if I am remembering correctly), so I was able to test the OHM on the triggers. This was my first time messing with a multi-meter, so I just set it in the ohm reader brackets @ a value of 2k. I was consistently getting .300-.312 on the triggers with one of them reading .380-.385. Fortunately, a friend of mine had a parts ski so I snagged a magneto box and swapped out one of the triggers. Still no spark. I'm pretty sure I am reading the multi-meter right if the tolerance is set at 2k then .300 would be 300. The unit is a Klein tools MM300.Any ideas ? Sorry to re-hash the whole situation, just wanted to make sure I included all the details. I'm thinking I could have possibly screwed up and sabotaged the triggers with the sandpaper? lol. If that's the case, I could go ahead and swap the other two triggers. Wasn't exactly sure how distance-sensitive those things are in relation to the stator. I can definitely see a difference in how far the little metal knob protrudes from the trigger on a non-tampered unit. I attached a pic of the stator style that I have.Thanks a lot !Chris
    Fixed. Swapped out magneto box assembly

Comment

Working...
    X