951 pto flywheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 pto flywheel removal

The pto flywheel on my '98 GTX 947 motor looks like it needs a special service tool to remove. The manual shows a picture of it, it has a spline on one end and a hex end for the wrench. My question is can I just use a big pipe wrench on this part or maybe put the drive shaft in and use a pipe wrench on it. I know it will make them a little ugly, but doubt it will do long term damage. If the feedback is "use the special service tool", where do I get one? The local dealer has made it clear I am not using his.
    Thanks.

Re: 951 pto flywheel removal

You can order the spline tool from any dealer or possibly places like www.parkeryamaha.com but you don't absolutely need it. A chain wrench or pipe wrench works well.In either case you'll need a cheater bar for leverage, usually at least a 4'.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Umm, the 947/951 PTO flywheel is a two piece design, you need to remove the "Spline Adapter" by removing the 6 (six) bolts that are surrounding the splined coupler.
      This will expose the Retaining bolt for the flywheel, after the bolt is removed, use a standard automotive harmonic balancer puller to remove the component.....
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Duh, brain fart.

Comment

When I read the SBT tech response it made sense, as it seemed to correspond to the manual. Then I read what John stated and that seems to correspond to the parts break down. The parts break down shows the flywheel and then the coupler that the drive shaft goes into and is held in place by the 6 bolts. The service manual shows the special service tool and states "Loosen Allen screws, remove coupler". That lead me to believe that the black part of the coupler that the splined shaft goes into must be twisted out of the coupler first. If, as John states, that removing the 6 bolts lets you remove the coupler to access the retaining bolt, how come the coupler is giving me such a hard time coming off?

Comment

After you remove the allen bolts tap it with a hammer - it pops right off.

Comment

As a brilliant tech once put it, "duh, brain fart". After my post I thought, how about a hammer? Went and hit it and it came right off. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X