Temperature Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature Sensor

I have a 1997 Yamaha Waveblaster II 760. After running it for about 10 minutes the temperature light flashes and the engine kicks into protective mode allowing me to limp back home. The jet intake is perfectly clear. The funny thing is that after the engine goes into protective mode, if I shut it off for 10 seconds it runs just fine for another few minutes. Could the temperature sensor be bad? If so, where exactly is the temperature sensor located? I have another ski I can take the temperature sensor from but need to know where it is so I can swap the two. Also, if after swapping temperature sensors, the problem still exists, what else can I do to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Temperature Sensor

Temp sender mounted on muffler.....clean out watter passages at the end of the muffler

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! I replaced the muffler with a new one. There was no temp sensor or sender of any kind on the muffler. In fact, there were no electrical connections of any kind on the old muffler or the new muffler. By muffler, I'm talking about the one under the battery box with two large rubber hoses attached to it. The old one was full of water but I'm assuming that is ok. Is there another kind of muffler located elsewhere on this ski that might have temperature connections on it? Does anyone have any other ideas as to where the temperature sensor or sender is located?

Thanks in advance!

Rick Zurawski

Comment

I hope your talking about the waterbox full of water... It was a plastic box (or something similiar) right? If it was the waterbox you replaced, that was most likely unnessesary, theres more then one part for the exhaust, the exhaust david was talking about was something else Im sure of.

It would explain why there were no electrical connections... if your temp sensor is coming on after 10 minutes, then its because there is a temp sensor somewhere on your engine, if you were to disconnect the temp sensor from inside the electrical box, then it would be impossible for the CDI to be informed about a temperature problem, because the temp sensor acts like to wires that are unconnected but near eachother, as heat rises, a connection between the two forms, and when the circuit is completed, the CDI puts your ski in limp mode

Comment

Thank you very much for this very helpful additional info. As you can see I'm new to skiing. Now that I have that straight, I am sure it was the water box I replaced. Does anyone know where the muffler is located on this 1997 Yamaha 760 Waveblaster II?

Comment

Update: Ok, I'm pretty certain that I know where the muffler is and what it looks like. Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4568531503

Anyway, how exactly do I go about cleaning it all out to rule it out as a possible source of the overheating condition?

Comment

here this is a diagram for your exhaust

http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/Yam...pe=13&A=57&B=6

Im not exactly sure where it is, but knowing its in the exhaust system somewhere, the piece its most likely located is piece 1 (the cylinder with two cubes leading to the engine) it also may be located in piece 2.

If anyone can confirm for him go ahead, but this is just something you can try if no one else responds for a while. The temp senser is of course a black wire leading into a slot for it

EDIT: go about cleaning it by flushing it with water. TAKE IN MIND THAT THIS IS NOT AN OUTBOARD seeing as how your new there is a very important procedure in flushing it on land. Failure with this will destroy your engine. Im not sure if you have a flush kit on your ski already, you should if you dont. Flushing your engine will rid it of sand, mud and most everything you suck up with normal use. Hook up your hose to the flush kit in your ski WITH IT TURNED OFF. Getting a valve for your hose so its easily turned off and on while your right near the ski is a huge convenience. Turn on your motor WITHOUT water running, then after its started, turn on your hose, not full blast, enough so that you can drink from the hose without choking. Water should exit the back of the ski AND from the starboard side (only if your ski has an exhaust port there though)

IF FOR ANY REASON THE SKI ENGINE SHUTS OFF TURN OFF THE WATER Leaving it on for a prolonged period will FLOOD the engine with water. If this is done, and you walk away from your ski with water in your engine for a day or two, its good as dead PERIOD.

Flush it for like 10 minutes or so at a high idle, or until clean water exits the ski, instead of sand and silt. Note that it wont be crystal clean, it may be a little dirty from oil burned by 2-strokes.

When your ready to stop, shut the water off, and rev it up to 3/4 throttle in spurts for NO LONGER THEN 15 SECONDS. running your ski without coolant water for longer then 15 seconds will hurt the rubber parts in the cooling system.

Comment

Wow. That link was very helpful. Thanks. I've saved that website in my favorites. The breakdown unfortunately, does not show a temp sensor or sender. Any other ideas?

Comment

I know it doesnt, its not supposed to, the temp sensor is included on the ELECTRICAL systems diagram. You'll have to ask someone who knows exactly where it is, consult a manual (which you really should buy one by the way if you dont have one already) or find it yourself, its most likely on part 1 or part 19.

Comment

Go to the site that K6jet gave you. Go to electrical 1 and item 40 is your thermoswitch assembly. This is your temp sensor. On my 95 waveblaster, the thermoswitch is on top of the head.

Hope this helps
                    JJJ

Comment

Thanks. I've located the temperature sensor and swapped it out with the sensor on my second waveblaster (same model-same year). Next, I hooked up water to the water hose injection port on the top of the ski under the seat and flushed it out as described in the posting above. After swapping them and flushing I tested the ski and found that it still has the same problem. Any other ideas?

Comment

clean out holes in end of muffler..you might have to remove it to do so...if holes are clogged, muffler gets hot and set off sender...if muffler is clogged, the rest of the engine can still be getting water...only a small percentage flows through the muffler

Comment

Working...
                        X