Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill....Carb Questions

Bill,

I finished the top end rebuild of my HX, and replaced the needles and seats, and rebuilt the carbs.

I've been breaking the engine in last few times out until today when I went WOT the rpms only reached 5900-6000, and the bike is noticably slower. I think my carbs settings are a little rich, Where should I start with my lows and highs? :emoticonn

When I cleaned the carbs the settings were high 1 1/4 and low 3/4s, but the pistons were over-sized, now has stock sbt pistons, and I used a stock sbt cylinder gasket..

The plug electrode is a dark black....

720 HX
    Factory Pipe
    R&D Head
    2.0 needle
    145 Main
    67.5 Low
    32 pop-off
    Compression 150+

Re: Bill....Carb Questions

if your put the carbs back like that you are way off as your high should be closed and lows at 1 1/4.

Comment

I think those settings are for stock carbs, these have different jetting, but I'm not sure... :)

Comment

your highs should still be closed or 1/4 out at most with that jetting

Comment

Frankey, Closing his highs all the way to to a 1/4 turn, may sieze his motor. He needs to start closing his high speed adjusters about 1/8th turn at a time, then watch his tach to see if his rpms start climbing up. If they do, he is too rich. He could end up with those adjusters anywhere between closed and a turn or so opened, or even need smaller main jets. He does not have a stock motor, so "closed" does not relate to his jetting problems..
          Last edited by Bill O'Neal1; 06-05-2005, 06:52 PM.
          Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Thanks bill, thats what I thought, but wanted to make sure... :)

I ended up leaning it out a bit and my RPMs peaked around 6900, I didn't have much tuning time today, we had a huge lightning storm at the lake so my day was cut short....

I'm finally learing how to tune my carbs with plugs, still not right, but closer..

Thanks...

Comment

You are on the right track, just be careful who you listen to.
              Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

gotcha Bill

Comment

Working...
                X