Rod Failure 951 Sea-Doo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Failure 951 Sea-Doo.

I purchased a silver Sea-Doo 951 complete engine from SBT, and had a rod failure at approximately 5 to 7 hours. After break in I added my after market head (50cc-165Psi), and Bill O's jet, and flame arresters. The rod failed at high rpm approximately (6900 RPM). The failure was not from water ingestion, or lack of lubrication. It was a rod failure “period”. I was approximately 3 months into the warranty period. I made the decision to add the performance modifications that voided the warranty. In most cases mechanical failure happens in the first few hours of operation so I thought I was safe. I did not wait long enough. I asked SBT if they would do something for me. They did not. So I learned from the mistake and purchased a rebuilt engine from Rotax for $1365.00, and an additional $300.00 for core deposit from Perry Performance Group. I added my modifications, and the new engine has 10-15 hrs on and is running perfect. You know the old saying “you get what you pay for”.

You know SBT will remove this post ASAP. They remove all negative posts. They should let the consumer read all posts negative or positive.

We do not delete negative posts, this is an uncensored section, no negatives are removed whatsoever.

As you were aware, our 1 year no-fault warranty fully covers you against any failure, even if it's water ingestion, lack of oil, overheating, improper installation, etc., as long as the engine is kept intact. We cannot honor a warranty for a modified product.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Rod Failure 951 Sea-Doo.

Where did you purchase this engine from?? And why the additional $300 .

I purchased a used XP limited with t a rebuilt silver 951, has about 6 or seven hours on the rebuild and through a rod at 6500 rpm....broke the upper and lower case, damaged cylinder wall..made the core useless I think. Also cannot determine why the rod broke? warranty I think expired on the engine in May probably.

Originally posted by speedfrk
      I purchased a silver Sea-Doo 951 complete engine from SBT, and had a rod failure at approximately 5 to 7 hours. After break in I added my after market head (50cc-165Psi), and Bill O's jet, and flame arresters. The rod failed at high rpm approximately (6900 RPM). The failure was not from water ingestion, or lack of lubrication. It was a rod failure “period”. I was approximately 3 months into the warranty period. I made the decision to add the performance modifications that voided the warranty. In most cases mechanical failure happens in the first few hours of operation so I thought I was safe. I did not wait long enough. I asked SBT if they would do something for me. They did not. So I learned from the mistake and purchased a rebuilt engine from Rotax for $1365.00, and an additional $300.00 for core deposit from Perry Performance Group. I added my modifications, and the new engine has 10-15 hrs on and is running perfect. You know the old saying “you get what you pay for”.

You know SBT will remove this post ASAP. They remove all negative posts. They should let the consumer read all posts negative or positive.

Comment

Originally posted by speedfrk

So you are saying you KNEW what you where doing would void your warrentee, but went ahead and did it anyway, and now are upset that they will not make a special exception for you? I dont know what your smoking, but i bet its some good stuff.

The warrentee is untouchable. So what a second engine you put in is still running, are they going to warrentee it if it blows up.
        When in doubt throttle it out...

Comment

Speedfrk, your'e not alone. I have 2 947 powered sea doos, and both had SBT components in them. The first was a '99 GSXL, and I replaced the crankshaft in it. Broke the unit in nice and gently, and put roughly 15 hours on the boat total since the new crank. At the 15 hour mark, all hell broke loose. The SBT crank failed miserably, snapping the PTO rod into about 3 pieces, and of course, ruining a perfect set of cases. It is my assumption that the big end bearing on the connecting rod failed first, and from the excessive "slapping" around, caused the rest of the rod to fail. I will give SBT credit though, they did replace the crankshaft, but I'm out a set of cases, and need to re sleeve the cylinder that got damaged from the flying debris. There were absolutely NO water leaks on this engine, and spent it's 15 hours on a calm river (no ocean riding). The second "victim" was my 2000 RX. I purchased a complete short block from SBT, and was pretty happy with the results until it reached the 34 hour mark. Again, another crankshaft connecting rod failure!! : ( Thankfully, I learned from the GSXL experience, and got the block, otherwise, I would have been out another set of cases, cylinder, and head!! SBT did replace the block, it is re-installed and broken in. SBT HAS A PROBLEM WITH 947 CRANKSHAFTS!! I have used their S-D 800, Yamaha 701/760, and Kawasaki 750 cranks with endless hours of abuse, and not a problem. I think the guys putting the 947 cranks together need to double check their tolerances, because these things are not holding up. I'm not the only one, as I know several people with 947's that experienced the same exact failure with SBT crankshafts that I have.
          Derrick<BR>Jet Set Performance

Comment

Unfortunately the 951 design is more susceptible to crank related failures than most engines, even OEM. That is part of the reason the 951 is one of our top sellers - there is PLENTY of demand, most with crank related failures. Most of our cores require case repair from such failures.

We have no issues with our components, and unfortunately we cannot change the core design of the 951 to be as reliable as other engines.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
            X