Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pumps Breaking, Help! Kawasaki 750SS 1992

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help us. We have just bought a used Kawasaki 750SS, that ran fine in and out of water when the guy showed it to us. We have broken 2 oil pumps in a matter of less than 1 hour running time on the first one, and about 15 minutes on the second one. The pump housing/casting actually physically breaks apart by where it says "Mikuni" . I have read about the oil block off kits, and actually have one on the way to us, but we're concerned that the shaft that attaches to the oil pump is going to rub on the block off plate and cause some kind of problem. (Because it is obviously moving around too much and breaking the oil pumps.) When any of you have opted to go with the oil block off kit, was it because of a similar problem or did the oil pump simply stop functioning? We're new to the whole jetski thing, but already hooked:) . Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    P.S. how bad is it to get weeds in the intake, can we cause damage if we don't get it out right away, and just limp slowly to the shore? Or do we need to jump in the water and get the weeds out immediately before continuing? TNX
    Last edited by backwater750; 08-18-2007, 11:24 PM. Reason: jetski brand & model

Re: Oil Pumps Breaking, Help! Kawasaki 750SS 1992

Both good questions. I have never heard of oil pumps breaking just that engines go out because they didn't get the oil. Consider yourself lucky. The block off plate connect to the outside of the casing so it should not contact any of the drive or pump assembly. Premixing takes time and you have to manage your fuel cans, but at least you will know your engine is getting fed correctly.
    Avoid the weeds. If you get weeds caught in the intake, stop and pull them out. Limping to shore puts too much strain on the engine and you could damage it. Also, small pieces of weeds could get caught in you cooling intake and block the system causing it to overheat.

Comment

Re: Oil Pumps Breaking, Help! Kawasaki 750SS 1992

Hey thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. We have an oil block off kit on the way, so hopefully we will be ok after that. I guess we will be towing our ski out to deeper less weed-filled water before we start it up, now that it's late summer and the river is filling in. Take Care!:)

Comment

Working...
      X