Ski will start, run for 25-40 secs then bogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski will start, run for 25-40 secs then bogs

So my buddy told me he had a 89 js 440 in his garage that had just been sitting for 6 years. I told him i was interested got the ski and am trying to get it running. Before i even tried to start it i pulled the gas tank, drained the fuel and the fuel lines and filter fuel, filled it with fresh and pulled a battery from one of my other skis. I then pulled and cleaned the plugs(they had some carbon buildup on them) and started the ski with a squirt of starting fluid. Took two squirts (To get fuel to the carb) and it ran great on land. Then i placed the ski in the water and took her out for a nice easy test ride, it ran well ( felt slightly underpowered) and then after about 35-40 seconds it started to slow down, and continued till i was dragging behind and then it just stopped. I tried to turn it over but got a click, as though the baterry was dead (keep reading..) and i swam it in. Put in on the stand and pulled the battery and charged it for the night, brought out the new batt and tired to turn her today and it clicked twice then turned over (this was without plugs in). I placed the plugs and she fired and ran on land, so i put her in the water and tried to ride, it did the same thing, ran slowed/ bogged and stalled, then wouldnt turn over. I pulled the plugs, not fouled looking and rather dry. The ski still woudlnt turn over, but the cylinders would slowly move down and i could see the shaft slightly jolt with every click. This is when i came home for some helpful advice.
    It almost feels like it was choking on its exhaust (something in the exhaust system (rats nest?) ) but then it wouldnt turn over. One more thing, i pulled the air filter/intake and looked in the carbs after running and there was some smoke/mist in them. All help would be appreciated and remeber the ski has been sitting 6 years and ran fine before starage.
    Thanks so much
    Jeff Marsh

I would most certainly pull the carb and clean or better yet get a rebuild kit and try it then.

Carbs when dirty or mucked up does some strange stuff and if it has been sitting that long it will need it anyway...
    Thanks for All the Help !<br />Blaine

Comment

thats what i was figuring also, but what explains it not turnign over?

Comment

Working...
      X