The most time on a 1100 STX D.I.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most time on a 1100 STX D.I.?

Who out there has the most time on their 1100 STX D.I.?
    I have 217 hours and it still runs well.
    The mechanics say that most of the D.I.'s do not last that long.
    Before I bought mine, I tried to get someone at Kawasaki to tell me how many hours the life of the ski would be. I never could get an answer from them.
    How many hours do you have on you 1100 STX D.I.?

I only have 89 hrs. 217 is pretty good. I think you can expect 300-350, which is fairly common for a two stroke. It all depends on how you maintain it and ride it (fog the engine after use, don't sink it, overheat it, etc.) You can't base long term reliability on the word of some mechanic. The 1100 has been around for a number of years and a solid performer w/excellent reliability. The FI and supporting electronics is what makes this engine vulnerable to failure.

To add to the reliability there is one simple thing you can do (I got this recommendation from friend that works at Kawasaki). Re-route the EMM cooling water from the pipe to outside the boat. To do that, disconnect the EMM outlet hose from the 90 degree fitting on the pipe. Remove the fitting and insert a brass plug into the pipe. Drill a hole in the hull for a thru hull fitting (stock Kawi or UMI) in close proximity to the existing fitting. Connect the hose to the thru hull fitting. This accomplishes 2 things.
    1) Visual indication the EMM is being cooled. If your cooling system is ever plugged the EMM will overheat and you'll never know it. The water is routed separately to the EMM vs. the block. This can damage the processor and increase the probabilty of failure.
    2) Without the restriction of the cooling water exiting the pipe, the EMM runs a number of degrees cooler do to increase water flow, enhancing it's life.
    2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Thanks Glenn for the suggestion. I don't know what that would do to my warranty?
      I just got my ski back today.
      The dealer ended up having to put a Solas KG-CD-12/18 impeller on. The other impeller that Kawasaki sent would not fit the new shaft.
      I could not find the Solas number for the 1100 STX D.I. on Solas website.
      The dealer did have an after market catalog with the Solas KG-CD-12/18, for the 1100 STX D.I.
      The dealer had to pull the engine to install the new drive system. I noticed (as usual ) when I got home that somethings looked different.
      One question I have is the routing of the FI wiring? The clips that are mounted on the head, does the wiring go underneath the clip of tiewrap to the top?
      The port side stern breather tube is broken about 1/4 way down from the top. I think this happen when the bolt for the pump support was taken out.

Comment

Some information:
        218 Hours
        I have burned 720.4056 Gallons of 91 Octane.

Comment

I'm not going to sweat it. I have over a year left on my ex-warranty. It's an easy mod to reverse, if I have to (highly doubtful).
          That's a Solas Concord you purchased. It's the same impeller I have on my STX. It's a lot better than stock. I think you'll like it. You get a little more mid-top speed.
          Not sure about the FI harness routing. I'll check mine tonight.
          2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Re: The most time on a 1100 STX D.I.?

Ya, I have a 1999 Kawasaki 1100 STX with ONLY 20 HOURS on the factory engine. ITs in the shop AGAIN and The mechanic tells me the engine is blown due to corrosion whoch led to it overheating. Tells me the water jackets are severely corroded. Jet ski was flushed each and every time after use. Don't know what truely happened. This situation is very odd and extremely unexpected. What is Kawasaki making these days!!!???

Comment

Had One In The Shop Recently. 200hrs If I Remember Correctly. Just Needed Routine Maintaince. Ran Great.im Not Sure Who Told Glen 300 Hrs Average Life. This Seems Low To Me. I Have Seen Kawi Motors Go 500+ Easy. I Have Seen Several Yamahas With 800-1200 Hrs On Them All In The Way They Are Maintained.
              WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

On my 2000 D.I., I had 165hours. In 2001 I have had the EMM replaced and the stader... I just traded it in this year.. I heard the rear bearing gos first on that motor because it dosen't get the oil it needs.... I think thats a load of SH_T..!!! Good ski.....
                JB

Comment

Originally posted by Glen
                  I only have 89 hrs. 217 is pretty good. I think you can expect 300-350, which is fairly common for a two stroke. It all depends on how you maintain it and ride it (fog the engine after use, don't sink it, overheat it, etc.) You can't base long term reliability on the word of some mechanic. The 1100 has been around for a number of years and a solid performer w/excellent reliability. The FI and supporting electronics is what makes this engine vulnerable to failure.

To add to the reliability there is one simple thing you can do (I got this recommendation from friend that works at Kawasaki). Re-route the EMM cooling water from the pipe to outside the boat. To do that, disconnect the EMM outlet hose from the 90 degree fitting on the pipe. Remove the fitting and insert a brass plug into the pipe. Drill a hole in the hull for a thru hull fitting (stock Kawi or UMI) in close proximity to the existing fitting. Connect the hose to the thru hull fitting. This accomplishes 2 things.
                  1) Visual indication the EMM is being cooled. If your cooling system is ever plugged the EMM will overheat and you'll never know it. The water is routed separately to the EMM vs. the block. This can damage the processor and increase the probabilty of failure.
                  2) Without the restriction of the cooling water exiting the pipe, the EMM runs a number of degrees cooler do to increase water flow, enhancing it's life.
                  Glen,
                  Did you do the water by-pass to your ski for the EMM? I am looking to do the same mode, is it worth doing?

Kurt

Comment

I now have 428 hours total time. I am on my third engine, if you count the original.
                    My last problem with the stator I solved myself, except for the oil on the flywheel.
                    The problem with the stator was the wiring where it passes through the case. The wiring in the vulcanized grommet had vibrated and broke. This caused the engine to run at low rpm.
                    I am still having oil on the CPS, but I wipe it down every couple hours.
                    My latest problem is the exhaust. It seems to have become quite loud.
                    How does the muffler work? I took the water box apart and it looks okay. What is inside the Resonator?

Comment

The waterbox is just like a car muffler. A simple series of baffles - no moving parts.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

My 1100 STX D.I. is loud. I think the muffler is broken, I want to change the muffler. Did the 2002 or 2003 D.I.'s have stainless mufflers. What years and do the D.I.'s inter change mufflers.
                        Csrf

Comment

Working...
                        X