750 ZXI Piston Replacement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 ZXI Piston Replacement Questions

This weekend I'll be replacing the PTO piston in my '95 750 ZXI. The SBT tech I spoke with said I could just replace one piston and she researched my engine and sent me the replacement I will need. The old piston had a little vertical scoring resulting from a loose PTO exhaust stud and loose head bolt. Cylinder walls are fine.

I'm just wondering if there's anything special I should know before starting this project. I have a few questions:

1) Do I use any gasket sealer or similar stuff on the base gasket?
    2) Should I use any gasket sealer on the head gasket just in case I have a loose head bolt again?
    3) Anything special I should know about putting the rings on the new piston? I've never done this before...
    4) I'm assuming the break-in procedure is the same as if I had a new engine, right?
    5) To reinstall the cylinder walls, I just use a ring compressor on the pistons one at a time until the walls are over the rings, right?

Thanks!
    - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

Use a thin layer of Threebond 1211 or Permatex The Right Stuff on the base gasket - put it on with your finger.

Use Permatex Copper spray on the head gasket and exhaust gaskets.

The rings go taper up.

Break-in is the same.

Just use your fingers to squeeze the rings and slide the cylinders down. Oil the cylinders with your fingers first.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X