96 1100 ZXI GAGES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 1100 ZXI GAGES

Just bought a 96 1100 ZXI which has been sitting for over a year.

Took it out yesterday and none of the gages worked. All was fine when it was put away. Any suggestions?

Thanks

check all the fuses? Also it could be the stator has a bad section full of rust...do you know what I mean? The stator tells the gauges when to work when the engine is running..it's possible it is covered in rust ...just an idea

MIke

Comment

All I have is the instruction manual. Where are the fuses located? This is the most obvious but not sure where to look.
      Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I believe it is in the electrical box.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Found the fuses - both are ok.
          Should the trim work with the key on?

Comment

I don't remember - I think it may need the be started.

Comment

Started it and tried the trim - still no luck.
              Next stop will be the Kawasaki dealer $$$. Thanks for trying.

Comment

I searched for 'trim' in the Kawi section - try this thread, and open your trim box to see if water fried the motor (front grey box) http://www.sbtontheweb.com/cgi-bin/u...c/17/845.html?

Comment

Thanks, that is exactly like my situation. I will try the connection then go after a control box. Any idea where to get one at a reasonable price?

Comment

Bonne, this problem drove me nuts for the longest time but I ended up biting the bullet and buying a control unit box. Its very easy to install. It just is a little pricy and there are not returns on electrical parts. Here is a few little things that might help you out on your problem. When you turn on your power key you should get two lights up on your dash. These lights will stay lit for about 5 or so seconds and then go out. You should also be able to control your trim without the engine running. Your trim gauge should move if the trim motor is working because the limit switch is what control that and that switch is right on the trim motor its self. Turn on your switch and take your seat off. Stick your head in by the engine and hit your trim button. You will hear a clicking sound. That is your control unit box. Mine would click but nothing would happen. If you end up getting a new box and your trim does not work on the first try DO NOT KEEP TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK!!!! Your trim motor needs to be taken out and cleaned. This is what is causing your box to fail. The trim box should be taken out and sealed with good sealant. The motor should be tanken compleatly apart and get the rust off the the brushes and other parts.
                    You might actually want to disconnect your trim box from your control unit box before you plug it in. Let me know if you need any more help.
                    Garrett Morrison

Comment

I see several socket head cap screws and have started to loosen them before I had to quit. Does the entire box come out, or after the lid comes off, does just the motor come out to be checked?

I've got a couple leads on a control box just closing the deal now.

Thanks,

Comment

What you need to do is loosen the three mounting bolts that hold the box down. You will need to take your carb box off and also take your carb bolts out and just shift your carbs out of the way. Then you can pull the box up to the top of the engine with the cable connected. You will not even have to remove the cable. This way you will not have to re-ajust the trim. Now you can remove the hex head bolts on the top lid. Your trim motor is in there. Its kind of a pain to get your hands way down there but it will save you a bunch of money for a pretty easy job. Let me know if you need any more help. By the way, where are you located at. If your near me I could help you out.
                        Garrett Morrison

Comment

I am south of Rockford IL. Believe you are near Lodi CA.

I think I can get the lid off without removing the mounting bolts - have all screws loose but have not been back in the shed for a couple days.

Thanks for the adivce - will write when I get further.

Comment

Ya that would be a bit of a drive. You can get the lid off the trim box but you will have a hard time working on the motor way down in there. It can be done. If I remember right you will need a phillips in order to remove the trim motor. Dont just pull the motor out of the plactic frame because you will not be able to get the armature back through the brushes. With the entire motor unit and case you will be able to work on it very easy.
                            Garrett Morrison

Comment

I have bought a new control box and installed it. RPM gage works. I did not hook up the trim connections and have taken the lid off of the trim box. Removed the motor assembly then the cover off motor. It was corroded. Cleaned the rust off, tried it with a battery and it spins freely. I am going to coat the armature with a zinc paint we use at work for air cooled motors to help keep the rust from coming back. Will then reinstall and see how it works.

Is there a way to grease the drive end where the motor goes in? The exterior of the round part is rusty - maybe no problem. How do we seal this back up so the motor does not get moisture?

How does the moisture get in? Does it follow the shaft coming from the rear of the machine? I know that was a problem in the 95 models from a local dealer.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X