28mm carb to 38mm carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28mm carb to 38mm carb

Hello, I'm changing out the 28mm carb on my 1986 X2 with a 38mm carb.

So far, I've already installed a larger intake manifold. Grinded out the hole in the air box to fit the larger carb. Removed the choke butterfly plate from the 38mm carb. Now, I'm running into a issue of the throttle cable bracket being mounted too high. There isn't enough room in the adjustment to allow it to work. What have you guys done in the past? I'm guessing that I'll need to fabricate a new bracket? Is that correct?

What else should I look out for? Any suggestions on where to start the high & low speed adjusters? Other than the 38mm carb and the premix gas, this beast is still stock.
    Joe Kissell<br />-1995 Tigershark 900<br />-1986 Kawasaki 650 X2

Re: 28mm carb to 38mm carb

You'll have to fabricate a new bracket. As far as the jets I would start at 1 1/4 turn out on both and go from there.
    Do not be suprized if you do not see a big gain (If any) with the 38 over the stock carb. I've only noticed slight top end gains and usually with a loss of low end grunt. I do not know what mods you have allready done and this will determine what gain you'll get from the carb. A lot of the early 650 motors like yours had terrible transfer port matching. (Sleeves pressed in bad on a lot) My 87 I did everything to it it with barely any gains.(Pipe & manifold, 44 carb,head,waterbox, impeller, etc..) Only when I ported the tranfers did it finally come alive. (Night & Day) If you plan on doing other stuff in the future I would look at your porting first and by that I mean especially the tranfer ports. I have also seen guys port their 650 (Exhaust and intake only) and notice nothing.
    One other thing. If you change your air cleaner I would suggest a screen type and not the foam type like K&N. The reason why is if you like to sub or ride in the surf as I.(Sucking water all the time) The foam type holds the water in and your ski will run crappy for a while. The screen type just sucks it through! A little burb or two and your going.

Originally posted by Ignis
    Hello, I'm changing out the 28mm carb on my 1986 X2 with a 38mm carb.

So far, I've already installed a larger intake manifold. Grinded out the hole in the air box to fit the larger carb. Removed the choke butterfly plate from the 38mm carb. Now, I'm running into a issue of the throttle cable bracket being mounted too high. There isn't enough room in the adjustment to allow it to work. What have you guys done in the past? I'm guessing that I'll need to fabricate a new bracket? Is that correct?

What else should I look out for? Any suggestions on where to start the high & low speed adjusters? Other than the 38mm carb and the premix gas, this beast is still stock.

Comment

Re: 28mm carb to 38mm carb

Just read that yours was stock (Guess I need to read).
      Here is what I would do in order. This is of course if you have the dough!

1 Impeller
      2 Head
      3 Exhaust Manifold
      4 Pipe
      5 Waterbox
      6 Carb or Carbs
      7 Grind steering stop.
      I would throw porting in right at the top between 2 & 3. Most guys don't have the money or time to tear the motor down to do this but it is essential unless you got a "lucky" port motor. I've seen very few early ones that had great ports stock. When factory riders would race in the stock class their builders would look through tons of cylinders to find a good one.

Comment

Working...
      X