Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo

Hello all Im having a problem with my 1997 daytona 1000. We let a few of my friends barrowit for a weekend and now the speedo does not work. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? also be as specific as you can. Thanks ~Tequila Sunrise~ [img]smile.gif[/img]

The speedo sensor is nothing more than a paddlewheel assembly, at the rear of the ski. It either has debris, like seaweed wrapped around it, or it's slighly cracked, or is somehow not spinning - or the sending wire has broken. Start the ski on the trailer and manually sping the wheel and if you get a reading, it's just not spinning freely. If you don't get a reading it's probably the sending wire.

Comment

wow Bryan you are fast to reply on these boards. Anyways can you be more specific on on where the wheel is at, and what the assembly looks like. Thanks ~tequila sunrise~

Comment

You know, as soon as I typed that I second guessed myslef...thought, well, sine these are basically Polaris copies, I bet it's using their vaccuum sensor speedo, and I checked the manual.

Here's what you want to check. Basically you have a small tube, right above your intake grate near the driveshaft. You have a sensor in your guage, that reads vaccuum, and converts it into speed. First, check to make sure the tube is not blocked. I believe you can detatch it inside the hull and blow through it to make sure it's not obstructed. If it comes out fine, the actualy guage reading the vaccuum may have failed. Sorry for the first post.

Comment

Ok here is another stupid question. I know that the speedo's on pwc's are not all that accurate, but are the vacuum type more accurate than the paddel type. Is there anyway to mount a accurate gauge on this ski. Thanks you have been tons of help ~tequila sunrise~

Comment

Yes, they are more accurate.

Other than mounting a GPS, no, there is no other bolt-on accurate speedo.

Comment

Working...
            X