X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solas offers good choices.

Comment

Stylin

Like Bryan suggested, Solas would be a great choice... Actually any Stainless Steel impeller would be an improvement over your Aluminum stock one. I believe they have a chart on their website that will tell you which one will work.

With this impeller both your holeshot and top end will improve, not drastically mind you - but improved. You may gain an extra mph.

Steve

Comment

Thanx I'll take a look at Solas. I didn't see any prices on that website link Bryan. I'm guessing I have to call for those?
        94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/solastig.htm
          They have them at Parker Yamaha for $180 a piece.

Steve

Comment

Which Montego do you have? The Deluxe was a stainless impeller. The regular was aluminum.

Comment

I think it's just a regular Montego. What did the Deluxe have? Did it come with power windows and windshield wipers? Maybe a cd player? :D

The impeller looks pretty crappy. Really rough looking finish. It's not real smooth like stainless steel so I guess it's aluminum even though I've never seen aluminum look like this.
              94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

Naw - special sauce and bacon! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]</p>

Comment

Okay one more problem! Can someone explain the stator vanes to me? Anyone have a good picture of those? I just spoke with David at Impros and the way he described it, there should be 5 or 6 little "vanes" built into the pump housing just before the impeller that direct water flow. I don't see those there!

Directly behind my impeller, the pump housing is frayed and the metal is jagged as if a solid object got in there and did some dirty work. What exactly are these vanes. Good god, pls don't tell me I need a new pump housing too!

Comment

My God what did you suck up into your pump???? Yes there are vanes, about 5/6 of them. If you are looking into the steering nozzle, the vanes are curved at the beginning (impeller side) and straighten out as they get closer towards the front of the pump. I am very curouis to see yours, they way you describe them it sounds terrible. Hopefully impros can salvage it.

Comment

The best way I can describe it is that it looks like an encased impeller. It is usually painted black and warn down to the aluminum where the water is forced through. It is the piece that comes out with the impeller that will require the tool mentioned earlier. Your impeller is tightened to this piece, which is about the same size and weight as imp. The "vanes" are the pieces of metal that create about 6 or 8 channels about 1.5 inches apart from each other inside this black piece. They may have damage, they may not. A little damage is not going to noticeably slow your 62 hp beast. If a major piece, say the size of a quarter coin or larger is missing from one or several of these veins it will need replaced. $109 for aluminum replacement from Arctic $275 for SS. I personally would get the aluminum and send old to impros for repair during off season and have 2 on hand. The rough imp sounds like aluminum, that I would replace with stainless and you most likely will never need to replace for wear again on that model. The Deluxe Montego featured SS impeller and wear ring and mirrors and fancier graphics. It was a worthwhile 400 dollars option IMO for the SS setup.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: titanic ]</p>

Comment

By the way, those vanes are about 3 inches long and should be smooth surface with that curve I mentioned earlier.

Comment

What you describe as a pump housing IS the vane section.

Comment

Okay so if you're looking into the steering nozzle, the vanes would be BEFORE the impeller? is that right? Those are okay. I was thinking they were on the other side of the impeller where the water first hits it. Am I right on the terminology now?

I think there was an underwater gremlin in that ocean inlet last weekend throwing shrapnel up into my pump! [img]graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay one more question on top of the 1200 I've already asked....

Impros said my impeller is the "TA" type. Supposedly in 96 they used two different types of pumps. I have the older version in which the impeller has a big hex nut on the end. The newer one would have had a spline in which the impeller just pushes onto it (according to David at Impros). Impros says there is no tool to get it off! Man, that is not what I needed to hear. Does anybody know what size socket I'd need to fit that sucker so I can get the impeller off? I tried my 23mm lug nut wrench and it wasn't big enuff. It's like a 26 or 28mm I guess. If nobody knows, I'm going to break out the hammer tonite... :(

Comment

Okay
                                If you are on the floor underneath your ski. Looking up into the intake grate, which you have removed I think, you should see a 'Chute' type of piece with the driveshaft coming through the hull from the motor. The driveshaft goes thru the middle of the chute, which directs the water to the impeller, and connects to the impeller. Besides the grating, the water meets the impeller first, fires thru the impeller then into those vanes we described. The vanes curved feature straighten out the explosion of water created by the impeller and come out the Steering Nozzle.
                                Hopefully that helps even more than before.

Regarding the impeller removal, I don't know what needs to be done. If you do go wailing on it Make Sure!!!! the Solas prop you will buy will fit onto your driveshaft before you totally destroy your original impeller.

Comment

Working...
                                X