Do I have a bent driveshaft??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a bent driveshaft??

Need Help!! Took the 96 Montego out in salt water over the weekend. Somehow as my wife was on it, she must have ran over something very solid. The top speed fell off to 27mph all of a sudden and there was this horrible clinking sound from under the craft.

Got it home and looked at it. The intake grate shows the signs of impact with 2 of the steel bars in the grate broken on one end and numerous deep gouges and dents. I removed the rear housing, main housing and ride plate. The impeller is somehow loose and wobbles up and down which caused it to dig grooves into the main housing. Is my draftshaft warped??! How could that happen all of a sudden? Because the impeller shaft moves up and down, is that a bad sign? Shouldn't it be firmly in place with no movement?
    I know I need a new intake grate. The impeller edges are worn now that they were rubbing on the housing sides. Do I need a new impeller and main housing? Are they reusable? Can anyone give me full details on what happened and what needs to be replaced?

Does SBT sell these parts? And what are the costs?
    94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Also, how do I remove the impeller if I do it myself? What special tools are required for R&R?
    94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

If you mean that the driveshaft is bent, and it makes the impeller contact the housing while rotating it, then yes it's toast and you need a new shaft. This is very easy to do if you run over objects such as rocks or large peices of debris.

If you mean the whole shaft has movement in the bearing, then you have even more damage, probably in addition to needing a new shaft.

You can get the impeller, housing and stator vanes repaired at www.impros.com - call them for pricing, but I would expect at least $300 (less than 50% new). The driveshaft will be at least another $150 new, and of course, you need the intake grate. Sorry to say, you just did about as much damage as the ski is worth if you replace everything with new parts!

No, we don't carry those parts. I would contact www.impros.com for repairs, www.brownsleisureworld.com for parts and these guys to look for used parts.

Comment

Thanx Bryan. Not what I really wanted to hear but I guess it's reality. The shaft does have movement. If I grab the impeller and shake up and down, it wiggles about a 1/4 inch. How can I get the nut off the impeller?? Since I've never tried to remove a driveshaft, can you give me some help on removing it? How do I remove and reinstall the shaft?

Also is the impeller reusable with the slightly blunted outer edges? What about the housing? Is it salvageable? Is there a way I can grind something down myself to save some money? We are really upset this has happened as we just got thru fixing the Polaris Sl750 for broken reeds. 1 week later and the other one falls apart!

Geez do these things always take this much maintenance and repair? Every weekend I'm in the garage repairing them....

Comment

No, you won't be able to adaqauately fix it yourself unless you have the proper welding equipment. Dave can salvage your old parts, most likely though.

To get the shaft and impeller out, the whole pump housing must be removed from the hull - see this diagram.

Comment

You are the man bryan! That diagram is just what I was looking for. Now i just need to find those parts used for much cheaper. I call around after the holiday.

Okay so you say if I drop the whole pump housing down, I can remove the driveshaft and impeller? What about getting the impeller nut off?

Comment

When you take out the housing, the whole driveshaft assembly comes with it. You'll need an impeller removal tool to hold it, and a large wrench.

Comment

Bryan, new discovery while I was dismantling in the garage. I have the entire pump assembly out of the ski. Since I don't have an impeller tool I can't take it apart right now. But as I turned it upside down, a bunch of broken up ball bearings fell out of the hole on top. About 20 in total fell out, most of which were crushed, broken in half, and also a sliver of metal that looks to be some part of the bearing casing maybe. What did the bearings come out of??

Do you sell impeller removal tools by any chance? I need one asap! Are impeller tools universal? Can I pick one up at the Polaris dealer tomorrow that will fit the tigershark? I appreciate your help on this.

Comment

Those would be your toasted pump bearings I mentioned.

No, we don't sell those tools, and I'm not sure exactly which one you need, or what else would fit - someone else here does, I'm sure.

Comment

A sea-doo impeller tool will work. A Kawasaki will not. Take the impeller with you to fit removal tool. (around 15 bucks) and make sure it works. The bearings most likely came out of stator housing. Those are around 25-35 bucks. Get the parts from Arctic Cat. They are very reasonable on their parts compared to all the other mfg. You will have a very difficult time finding used parts unworn for Tigersharks. [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanx Titanic. Can anybody save me a hassle and tell me the number to arctic cat or a website link?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bryan Glynn:
                        I would contact www.impros.com for repairs, www.brownsleisureworld.com for parts and these guys to look for used parts.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

www.arctic-cat.com They have a page that tells you where your nearest dealer is. Or just look uo Arctic Cat in yellow pages.

Comment

Stylin99,

I just read everything that happening to you, a true bummer indeed. I just wanted to answer your question about maintaining your ski's and being in the garage every weekend tinkering on them. The answer is 'No'. Things do happen unfortunately like sucking up rocks, rope, etc. (this includes that wrench that got sucked up and trashed your pump. [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img] ) Hopefully you won't get too bummed out on the sport and bail out. Always watch out for swallow spots in the water. Whe I go to a new area to ski I usually watch other jet skis and kind of follow the pack. I drive slowly to get used to the area so I don't bottom out or get stuck.

I have removed a pump on a Seadoo so i am kind of familar with the job you are doing. You may want to look at Solas or Skat-Trac for an impeller replacement, you may get better performance other than stock. I believe you maontego's impeller is aluminum, you may want to go with Stainless Steel (less caviation, better top-end and low-end). Keep us posted and I'll try to help if you want some advise.

Good luck,
                            Steve

Comment

Thanx Steve. I appreciate the sympathy. Hopefully this will be the last repair for awhile. These things are putting us in debt.

As far as the impeller, does anybody have any recommendations for an impeller that can increase acceleration or top speed that doesn't cost much more than stock (under $210). I might as well replace with something that has better performance for the same cost. I know Impros.com has these but I don't know anything about the brands or what type of metal is best, etc. Any insight would be great.

I ordered the impeller removal tool from Polaris for only $8. It's the same part# for Tigershark and cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X