Broken Driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Driveshaft

I think the drive shaft on my 97 Daytona 770 broke just past the second grease fitting after it enters the covered area. Happened just after coming on plane and makes a horrible noise. What needs to be done?

You need to at least pull the pump assembly off the hull - see this diagram. Once you pull the pump and impeller off, the shaft will slide back out. Verify at this time, that the noise is gone - if not, it's the engine.

Comment

Will I need to remove the impeller with a special tool? Also is this a complicated repair or something a limited knowledge mechanic should be able to work on? I'm quite sure that the problem is the driveshaft, as the engine will still rev freely.

Comment

No, that impeller stays in the pump - the driveshaft is not threaded on, it pulls right out.

Comment

Thanks, and that diagram is a good reference point. Any ideas on locating parts? Again, thanks your responses have always been quick and first rate.

Comment

www.brownsleisureworld.com is going to be one of your best bets. Tigershark parts are getting hard to come by since their deminse in '99.

Comment

Hey skirider, I think you have the same problem as me. Read my other ongoing post about my blown out driveshaft .
              http://www.sbtontheweb.com/cgi-bin/u...&f=18&t=000037

You should be able to do it yourself with the proper tools. (I just tore mine apart for the first time today). Some of the sockets and wrenches you'll need are: 17mm socket & wrench, 10mm socket, Torx head screwdriver bits for screws under the craft, straight and phillips screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, an assistant (I used my wife), and lots of beer. :D

Email me at steven.shrader@funb.com if you have any more questions. I'm a rookie at it but I may have seen something that may help you.
              94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

You guys have very different pump assemblies...

Comment

Bryan,
                  I have the driveshaft exposed from the rear of the craft. The problem seems to be located about 4 inches from where the shaft enters the hull. There is a lube point(bearing or retainer of some sort?) and that is where the driveshaft seems to have come undone, broke or whatever. I am unable to pull the shaft from the back of the craft. Is there a release to this so that I can remove and examine it?

Comment

After further inspection it appears that the shaft is stripped at the point where it enters the engine and I assume connects to the crank. I still can't get the shaft out of the hull, what am I missing?

Comment

I'm not too familiar with that model, but I think as long as you undo any clamps on the shaft inside, it should pull out - I don't think they used c-clips on that one...might be wrong...

Comment

Call this guy and ask. Jeff Hrabke at Waldron Arctic. 425-392-7833. This is the guy who builds the signature series models for Arctic. He knows sharks inside and out. BTW, the driveshaft was updated in 98 to retrofit the 96 and 97 to prevent breaking. It is not uncommon what happened. I think it is around 220-240. Can't remember for sure. Brwon Leisure is great for diagrams but I think it is a Canadien Co. so I don't know about shipping hassles and cost.

Comment

OK, I finally got the drive-shaft out of the hull (just required a little more ooompphh than before). The motor end of the shaft appears to have rolled the splines to one side thus creating the spinning effect, so new driveshaft is in order. But, I found a more disturbing problem. Two of the stator vanes have quarter size chuncks out of them and a couple more are cracked. Also some minor cavitation burn and nicks on the stock stainless impeller. And last but not least the middle fin on the intake grate is broken. Any suggestions now? Could I have sucked something through this thing out in the lake? [img]graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

Comment

Send the pump parts to Dave at www.impros.com and get a new intake grate.

Comment

Thanks Bryan,
                              I just e-mailed Dave at impros and will probably be sending him the parts while I try and locate a new driveshaft.

Thanks Again,

James

Comment

Working...
                              X