Coupler removal, drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupler removal, drive shaft

Jezz, it sounds like there was a rash of drive shaft bearings failure lately. My question is this, how to I get the coupler off of the drive shaft that goes to the impeller, if I get theat off am I right to believe that the wqhole shaft impeller etc will slide right out the back of the pump? Then it would be easy to replace the bearings and reinstall. Sure does sound simple but I know it won't be that easy. I tried before to get it off but as far as I can see it will involve a cheater bar, a good wrench, and maybe some heat? Could it be install with loctite or something like that? Oh by the way by far one of the best and most informative websites that I have ever been to, this is what they all should be like keep up the good work!!!

Yes, you will need a vise, cheater bar, heat wouldn't hurt, and some muscle!

Comment

I just took my pump housing down to the local arctic cat dealer and they were nice enuff to wrench off the impeller for me. What a nice bunch of folks!
      94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

Stylin,
        Glad to hear you got someone to remove your prop. Are you still going with a Solas replacement? Let us know how it all goes.

Woody,
        Yeah, it is a pain to pull jet pumps free. Just remember to use a good amount of the Right Stuff, or the equivilent (sp), when you put the pump back on. Be gentle with it but with alot of muscle.

Steve

Comment

I lucked out and my insurance company flipped the bill for the parts needed including paying me for my labor. [img]graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]
          I decided to just buy the one from Arctic cat since I'm scared I won't like the solas brand. I've heard mixed reviews about them. I don't know enough about impeller pitches, etc to make a logical judgement on it. I'm playing it safe.

You're right in that these tigershark jet pump assemblies are a pain to mess with. I wish I would have checked the oil level in the housing when I first bought it. That may have contributed to the bearing failure.
          94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

Okay, this is a stupid question, but how else would I know, "Oil level in the housing?"

Comment

There is an aftermaerket clean cone coming on the scene...other than that you have to check it yourself.

Comment

Only way to check it yourself is probably to pull the screw in the housing under the craft. That's the drain plug. Drain the oil into a clean pan and hopefully you can drop it back in thru the top (remove the black vent under the seat to pour in the oil.

Comment

Working...
                X