Snap Ring stuck on driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap Ring stuck on driveshaft

Anybody know how to remove a stuck snap ring? Trying to remove the rear bearings on the driveshaft of the 96 Montego. The snap ring holding it in place won't budge! I don't have the snap ring tool. But I've tried every tool I own to pry it out. The Bearing has somehow wedged it in real good. Help!
    94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Stylin,
    I saw this on Ebay and thought you might wanna take a look... it's a solas prop!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1188217170

It says it is for a 95 and earlier 640 but it may fit yours. A potential to save a lotta bucks.

Good luck with the Bearing by the way. Not sure how you should handle it, just keep trying I suppose. Maybe you could talk with those dudes who removed your prop ...??

Steve

Comment

Thanx for the link! I've found a guy with a prop for sale here locally for only $50 that i might get. He's a tigershark guru and knew more than the dealer shop did!

Although it looks like insurance may be covering this for me so I may get a brand new one. [img]graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]
      94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

you really shoudl use a snap ring tool. they are pretty cheap. I got one for about 8$ and it has a bunch of different noses you can attach with different thickness pins and angles. Youll end up mangling the snap ring if you dont use the right tool. this is one case where the right tool is needed. besides youll end up using it again
        also spray some carb cleaner there may be some crap thats hardened in the grooves
        Rob

Comment

Thanx. Finally got the snap ring off after many busted knuckles and broken tools. Now I can't get the bearing "shell" out. Only the outer portion of the bearing assembly is still in there which leaves me nothing to pull or push on. I've tried wedgeing a thick bolt into the bearing edges and then ramming on the bolt in hopes of pushing it out. After many bent bolts and other unsuccessful tries, it's only moved about 1/16". I'm so frustrated at this thing. Does anyone have any known solution for removing this bearing without damaging the housing? The housing is such a soft aluminum, that it doesn't take much to scratch or dent it. The bearing case on the other hand is so solid I can't even drill into it. Need help!

Comment

You need to get a bearing puller. Or jsut pay 10$ and ahve a machine shop remove it. Believe me its worth the 10$ to have it done. you cant go beating ont he alluminum housing youll just ruin another expensive part. If youre in southern califiornia bring it by my house ill pull it off
            Rob

Comment

Unfortunately I'm on the other coast so I'll get the arctic cat dealer to pull it. How does the bearing puller work? Especially since the entire bearing is not in there, only the shell.

Comment

they are either gonna press it out ( most likely) or use a slide puller. it looks like a slide hammer used for body shop work but it has different tips. one of the tips liiks like a scissor with hooks. there is a bolt that screws on the threaded portion a nd the scissor part opens up and seats on the lip. then they just pullon it with the weighted handle and it removes the race
                Rob

Comment

Well the shop had to use a cutting torch to get it out. Took the guy about 20 minutes to do it.
                  Here's a pic of the ski and of the wear ring and impeller that were damaged during the whole episode. You can see where the impeller ate into the wear ring.
                  I'm still waiting on parts I ordered 10 days ago. God they're slow!

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]</p>

Comment

Hey Stylin99 - you want a little pic under your name of your ski there like others have?

Comment

Bryan, Yeah that would be cool. But don't do it with the Wimpy Tigershark. I have a picture of my Polaris 750 I'd rather have up there. Where can I send the picture? Your email?

Comment

Send it to webmaster@sbtontheweb.com - my bigfoot account is having problems today.

Comment

Working...
                        X