Need help on jetpump re-assembly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on jetpump re-assembly!

Well if you guys haven't been following my Tigershark problems, I have the 96 Montego in which the rear bearing disentegrated on me. I finally got all the parts in to replace: driveshaft, impeller, wear ring, bearings and seals etc. I have a few questions that I don't see clearly in the manual. Pls help!

1.) In the Montego diagram of the pump assembly it appears that the rear seal is 2 pieces. I only have one to put in there. Explain?

2.) How far do I push the FRONT seal in? I pushed the seal in flush with the edge but there is space behind it between the bearing and seal. How much do I push it in?

3.) The new S/S impeller doesn't have the big 30mm nut on the end to tighten it down like the old one. Is hand tightening good enough? How do I tighten it down good?

Thx for the help guys. I'm trying to get it all together before this weekend to get one last ride in. I may be wearing my toboggan and sweatshirt out there, but I'll be riding!
    94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

One piece seal is an updated piece. I have one but I have not installed it yet. (Winter Project) Does the new impeller have a place for impeller wrench instead of old style lug? Hand tightening will hold but not ideal.

Comment

1. I know on a Seadoo XP, in which I replaced the seals on the shaft, the back/rear seal was a single seal but had two lips on it, maybe that's what is going on here too. you'll probably be okay but maybe someone else can offer more info.

2. I wouldn't worry to much about the space between the seal and the bearing. As long as the seal keeps grease in and water out you'll be okay. In fact the space will allow the bearing to be more submersed in grease which is a good thing. I'd keep it flush like you have it.

3. it doesn't use the original nut, right? Does it use a nut at all? I am not sure what's going on on this one. There has to be a way to tighten up.

Steve

Comment

Thanx guys. The new impeller face is smooth with a small hole down the center. I don't see how anything could hold it other than grasping the blades and turning hard. Maybe a little loctite to hold it will help? The S/S imp. looks Soooooooo much better than the worn out factory one.
        94 Polaris SL750<br />96 Tigershark Montego<br />99 Mustang GT Coupe<br />00 Mustang GT Conv.

Comment

I am unsure about your setup but it sounds like something I have seen before, working on a old yamaha ski with a Solas prop. There is a nut that slips onto the driveshaft then goes to the impeller. The nut has teeth which hook onto the impeller ( I am assuming the impeller is on the shaft and handtightened). When the nut is secure a crescent wrench fits onto the nut and you tighten away. I basically works like an impeller that has the nut/tightening area attached to it but this one was removable. Sounds like this is what you are missing. This nut should of came with your prop. Good Luck

Steve

Comment

Well, from looking up inside the impeller, there is a nut attached. That is where the driveshaft screws on. But once you start turning and mount it , there's no way to get a crescent wrench back up inside the unit to lock on it. Does it tighten itself somehow without a special tool? Am I that lucky?

Comment

You know it might. It believe the prop tightens against (opposite direction) the spin of the motor so as you use it, or ride it, it decomes kind of self-tightening. Does the manufacturer provide a tech support number you could call?

Steve

Comment

The impeller is made by Arctic Cat. Even says Tigershark down the side cut out in the stainless steel. Pretty cool looking blade actually. Is there a technical support number for Arctic Cat jetskis out there?

Comment

No there is no support # for Sharks. Has a lot to do with why they are no longer in PWC business. Lousy customer service access. Call this guy. Jeff Hrabke at Waldron Arctic 425-392-7833 he knows Shark PWC. All the little nuances and differences between same year models etc. He has helped me many times. [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

I]The impeller is made by Arctic Cat.[/I]

Oh, I thought you bought aftermarket...

Steve

Comment

Well, finally got the rear pump bearing in(it was on hold). Snapped two of the star headed bolts that hold the bottom of the jetpump in place. (Doh!) Can I just replace with any two screws and bolts that are similar in size?

If I just pour the 6oz of pump oil into the top of the unit, will that spread around sufficiently to lubricate all bearings, shaft, etc? Do I need slosh it around a bit myself?

Also rear seal doesn't look too tight. It went in pretty easily. Was I supposed to use silicone around the rear seal to hold it in place?

Comment

1. regarding your broken bolts - I don't see why not. As long as it hold the pump in place, who cares what bolts are being used.

2. Pour enough oil in to top it off. The less air/empty space the better, at least w/ seadoo's anyway.

3. A loose bearing eh, how loose is it? Can you spin the whole bearing casing? If you can remove it without damaging it, I do it again but put some loc-tite around it. Don't get too messy with it though, it could ruin the bearing themselves.

Steve

Comment

Woohoo!! Got the whole mess assembled and finished. Crossing my fingers it will run okay. Too **** cold to try it though right now.

It wasn't the bearing that was loose, only the rear seal itself. I put some sealant around the edges to hold in place. The only thing I think I screwed up was the direction the bearing was facing. The book says to make the side with the numbers on the inner race face to the rear of the craft. Well I realized too late it wasn't. Will that hurt anything? What's the difference?

I ran it for about 5 seconds, and the impeller only barely touched the new wear ring. Took a small scrape of paint off is all. That's okay right?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time tearing down a jetpump. :D

Comment

I am assuming they are needle bearings, if so I can't see why it would matter. As long as your seals were put in the right direction you should be okay.

Don't forget to grease those driveshaft zerks.
                            Let us know how the trial run goes.
                            Steve

Comment

Regarding your impeller clearance, you won't really know until you put a load on it. It sounds like your okay initially but run it for a lap or two then put it back on the trailer and look at the impeller and wear ring and see what's up. Also check for leaks and the general well-being of the pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X