'96 Daytona 640 - Lots of issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 Daytona 640 - Lots of issues

Wow where to start. First, it is peculiar but Brown's online does not show a Daytona with a 640, but the patient IS a Daytona and it has a 640. I won't tell you the how's and why's (unless you ask) but had the motor rebuilt. In puting it back in I know I need to align it. The tech section shows a 4/1 schedule for detailed how-to. Can anyone give me a brief description of how to do it or...?

Second, the starter motor does not engage. It spins like a maniac but does not turn the engine. The pinion(that is the gear that springs out and engages in flywheel right?) seems to move freely. Thoughts on this subject?

Without a doubt I will have more questions, but these are the two most pressing issues before going on to the next, and...

Thanks for any and all insights you can offer.

Best regards, Mark

With regards to the bendix starter gear, two things are likely. One, the gear is not popping out correctly or fully. You said you checked that so the next thing is to make sure the flywheel key has not sheared, and the flywheel is not simply spinning on the end of the crank nose. If the flywheel key is not sheared, I'd say you do indeed have a bad bendix, and you may not know what a real good one feels like. We have good used ones for $50 if you need one.

For alignment of the engine, there are two procedures, however I'm not familiar with your shaft coupling off the top of my head. If it's a fingered coupler with a rubber dampner in between the units, then you can follow the alignment procedures in any of the Yamaha or Kawasaki Install guides here in the tech section.

If it's a solid shaft splined coupling, you will need to take it to a dealer who has an alignment tool to use for it. Short of that, you will need to align it as best you can by eye, however this can lead to shaft and/or coupling failure if it's not spot on - but I know finding a Suzuki shop or Artic Cat shop that can do it is tough in some areas.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. Looks like I'll have to pull the motor back out. Oh well. But I would like to ask a "is it worth it" question because of other issues. I asked about motor alignment because the impeller - or something - is rubbing. It rubs through ~ 45 degrees of rotation and is free after that. Thought maybe the motor was puting pressure on the coupling causing some deflection but no such luck. What can I check if anything?The ski did not impact anything. I have the intake grate off to see what I can see but there ain't much to see. What could be causing the rubbing - and please don't say a bent shaft or...

Your advice in large part will determine my need for the Bendix.

regards,

Mark

Comment

So about that Bendix? Where/How can I order it? Also, in your estimation can I pull/replace the flywheel without removing the motor?

Mark

Comment

We have good used bendix assemblies for $50, or you can get a new one for around $250 from your local dealer, or try to find one elsewhere.

It is almost impossible to pull a flywheel in the hull due to the clearance and leverage necessary.

Comment

Working...
          X