1996 daytona 770 driveshaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 daytona 770 driveshaft removal

I have the updated drive shaft on my Daytona. I need to replace the floating housing bearing and sleeve and as such I need to remove the shaft. My question is on the updated shaft, it appears to be mounted to a substantial coupler which is then mounted (coupler) to engine block. There is a slot for a tool or wrench right before the coupler for leverage. Does the shaft disconnect right there at the coupler? How do you keep the shaft and coupler from spinning when wrenching? It free spins either direction. What is the counter method to hold coupler? Or am I completely off base here? I looked at the brownsleisuresport site but could not find a complete layout of drive shaft. Just impeller assembly etc. Finally, I am also assuming counterclockwise to loosen shaft from coupler. The 1998 and 99 TS770r on the browns site appear to have the same coupler etc as my 96 update kit has, if that helps to visualize. Thanks for any insight provided.

All you need to do is pull the pump off, and the shaft slides right out the back, it's just splined into the coupler.

Comment

Even on the updated kit? Just pull? [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

If what you have matches the microfiche, you don't have the updated, finger style couplers.

Comment

You may have the updated shafting i have just received. By substantial coupling are you talking about 4' diameter 3' wide? If so the shaft has 17mm flats at the coupling and unscrews in the conventional manner. Jam the coupling with a chain wrench or make a c spanner to fit the indends in it.

Comment

The two types are not confuseable (is that a word? lol). One uses a splined driveshaft that slips inside the coupler on the crank - the other uses two fingered couplers with a rubber damner in between, such as on Yamaha's and Kawasaki's.

None of the Tigershark microfiche even shows the later type, so if what he has looks like any microfiche, then he's still got the old type.

Comment

I've got a '97 Daytona with a 4" dia/3" wide(long) coupling like the one Russ described that I am trying to disconnect. I originally thought it was splined, but it would not slide out with prying.

The "finger" type coupler that's been talked about alot does not sound like what I've got; Is the "finger" coupling what's shown in micofiche for 98 and 99 MY?

Comments about just unscrewing the driveshaft by Russthemuss caught my eye.

Before I start wrenching on the shaft using the flats and chain wrench or spanner as you suggested, I wanted to make sure it this was a lefty-loosey thread and also, when re-assembling the unit, what sort of torque (and loctite) should I be using?

Comment

No microfiche shows the fingered type.

It unscrews counterclockwise, standard thread. Use some blue locktite on it and torque to at least 40 ft. lbs or so - it's self tightengin after the first time you put it in the water.

Comment

Thanks Bryan. I'll use your numbers.

But FYI, my coupling matches 98 and later microfiche drawings, but is not splined. They (Arctic Cat) definitely made some kind of drawing/design change post-97. Check it out?

Comment

Here is the '98 microfiche for a Daytona 770, and a fingered coupler from a Yamaha - which does yours look like?

Comment

I havn't seen this microfich before but hey, it DOES show the new rubber bush type coupling .No splines just scew it together. I dont think theirs a microfich for the yamaha type coupling cause these two couplings keep getting confused and they didn't make one.
                      Just a thought!!

Comment

Mine matches the 98 770 drawing. It has a concentric rubber bushing within the coupling. It definitely isn't a 'finger' type.

Thanks for all your help! :D

Comment

The drive shaft you have is the update kit pn 0637-166 fir Daytona 770. You can hold the Coupler with a strap wrench and losen the shaft from it. Hopefully someone used antisize when they put it together. It has standard threds. The floating brg. is pn 0775-092. Hope this helps.
                          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

ok I have finally gotten all the bolts off my daytona 770 and I tried to slide the block forward but the drive shaft is still attached. So it is not splined in there. And I read the pervious post but I dont know exactly what to do. If anyone can explain how to get the driveshaft out in a very basic terms.
                            Just what to do just to disconnect the driveshaft.
                            thanks
                            bhilport

[ June 14, 2002, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: bhilport ]

Comment

OK, hold the big round, metal, gold part on the back of the engine with a strap wrench. you will have to go get one. then unscrew the driveshaft. it will be verry tight. the driveshaft shuld have a place for a wrench. use a pipe to get extra power. the threads will be standard.
                              Hope you get it. If you are near Charlotte NC call me if you need more help. :D
                              Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
                              X