New to the Game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Game!

Ok, somebody help, I have a 98 TS1000L. Runs great, just doesn't like to start. Once running does just fine starting again as long as it doesn't sit for longer than two or three minutes. After that you have to apply throttle to get it started. It alway bellows a big white puff of smoke like it was rich or flooded. Also, I have a large amount of exhaust (oil) build up at the exhaust port. Is this just a dirty carb or is there something else I'm missing. My experience has always been with outboards and that makes me feel its running rich(when its starting). The plugs aren't gooey or anything. What do yall think? [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img] Also, the bilge pump is always running when the engine cuts off, is this normal and does it run all the time. What kind of oil do you recommend for use in the ts? Thanks for everybodies help!

Thats the way I have to start it is by applying throttle. and yes I do have those little jets that spray when you squeeze the throttle, but I am assuming that when your up to temp and you hit the starter that the engine should start without giving it throttle. It just seems that a properly operating carb and engine would start without the extra throttle. Am I wrong?

Comment

If it is like my 97' Daytona 1000 the carb has an excelarator pump and everytime you pull the throttle it floods the engine when it is hot and not running making it hard to start.

Hold the throttle at 1/8 to 1/4 open and then try to start it. This is what I do and it works fine.

If it still does not start try pulling the throttle 2-3 times to prime it first before starting. If this helps then you are too lean on the low speed mixture. If it makes it worse than you are too rich. This should let you know what direction to go. Make sure you document your settings before changes so you can go back to your base line if you get confused.

If still no luck follow the carb adjustment manual on this site. I don't feel it is the adjustment just normal.

I would use Pensoil full synthetic or Yamalube if you can't get Tigershark extreme oil.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I am not sure why the motor gets rich when you shut it off. It may be when you het the kill switch it turns off the ignition and the moter does turn over several times before it stops, thus bringing in some unburnt fuel into the combustion chamber. You must then purge that before it will fire off. Also when you open the throttle you send in a lot more from the accelarator pump. I think if you do a low speed plug reading you will find that it is burning fine. It is just the nature of the beast.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
        X