99 TS-1100R Impeller/ Driveshaft Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 TS-1100R Impeller/ Driveshaft Problem

Yesterday we were out on the water when suddenly my wife's boat stopped moving. The engine ran and revved but no movement. I pulled the back end off to find the impeller spline threads on the inside of the impeller nearly worn down. That is what was causing the slipping of the driveshaft. My question is what would cause this? How can the splined ends on the driveshaft wear the opposite splines down to cause a slip? Although the driveshaft splines look okay, would you recommend that I go ahead and replace the driveshaft as well to be sure the splines are good and new. There must have been some wear on the driveshaft splines when it was spinning freely inside the impeller. Can the spline section of the impeller be replaced or do I have to spring for a brand new impeller?

Thanks

Most likely something was passed through and seized in the pump, possibly some rope, at one point or antoher. It doesn't strip on it's own. I would closely inspect every thread and replace anything damaged.

Comment

Thanks! Yep, I found a wrapped up piece of plastic around the rear shaft on the impeller side. Amazing that plastic can stop the force of an impeller spinning!

Does the driveshaft unscrew at the coupler or pull straight out? Brownsliesure doesn't show that detail.

Also, can the splined insert in the impeller be knocked out and replaced or must I buy a new impeller? If so, are the Solas and Skat-Trak comparable products? The Solas is about $40 more. I appreciate your help.

KK

Comment

That kind unscrews from the coulpler on the engine. Hold the coulpler with a chain wrench and unscrew it "normal threds". If the driveshaft spun in the impeller it must be dammaged. Call ScatTrack to see if the can repair your impeller. Also a good time to replace the driveshaft seal assy. and impeller shaft bearings @ 18.00 each at NAPA.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Yes the impeller bearings need to be replaced. You say $18 each. That's much cheaper than the Arctic Cat price. What is NAPA. Not the auto parts place is it?

Thanks

Comment

Sure is. Just call them and give them the number off your old bearings. Buy a the new bearing seal from Artic Cat it is an updated part that has 2 seals insted of one.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
            X