Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBT engine on Tigershark Monte Carlo HELP !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT engine on Tigershark Monte Carlo HELP !!

Bryan,
    I got an SBT 640cc engine last week for my Tigershark Monte Carlo 1994. The engine bolted in nicely but I am having an overheat problem. The ski runs fine on the hose but hot in the water. I took the filter system out ran it again in the driveway and put the hose on the intake and it ran cool. I then put the hose back on its fitting on the rear of the hull and put it in the water almost instantaneously the water pumping out of the inspection hole is red hot and exhaust and head get hot I immediately shut it down. I have blown the lines, verified the lines are correctly installed (using your tech. message posted to another user on SBT website), bypassed the water filter, flushed it from the side, flushed it from the rear, checked the plugs and the gapping, tuned the carbs, taken off all the brass fittings on the exhaust pipes and cleaned them. I even rev it up to about 20% throttle on the flush kit and the water barely gets warm. But idling in the lake makes it hot. Weird, I am about done with messing with it. I noticed you mentioned to another user, the "thermostat" housing. Does a Monte Carlo 1994 have a thermastat?? I have the housing obviously but there is nothing inside of it, unless it is built into the head and I can't see it. HELP !! We are headed for vacation this week and would love to take this ski, everyone at SBT was great about getting the engine to me quickly but now this problem has delayed our departure date. Any suggestions are helpful. Kurt Hoffman

No you don't have a thermostat. Somewhere, probably right near your inlet, you either have debris or damage. I have seen this when a pebble gets lodged near a fitting and it acts like a ball valve, only sealing when pressure is from one side or another.

Comment

From your email, I think you just may not realize how hot normal running is, on the water. Lake water is often considerably warmer than hose water, and the cooling routing is reveresed. The exit water while running on the lake IS going to be very warm to the touch! You indicate you have good, normal flow, and you aren't overheating on the hose, so it's my guess that you have no problem.

Comment

Bryan the rpm limiter appears to be kicking in. From what I can tell it then runs real rough and will not get up on plane. I was told that the rpm limiter kicks in at around 200 degrees. Could it be the water should be that hot and maybe the carbs are not tuned?? I read a little on the web about that rpm limiter and it sure seems that it is kicking in. Let me ask you this, while running on the lake should I be able to touch the head or exhaust with my hand or more than a 1/2 second. I know the Tigersharks seem to have a thinner cylinder wall. Sorry for the cross posting just trying anything to salvage jetskiing on this vacation. Any suggestions are where the carbs should be set and I can check to see if that is why I can get up on plane. I had a local boat mechanic "tune" them. THANKS !!

Comment

I don't think the eninge would run well if it was so lean as to heat the motor up that bad. Inspecting the spark plugs should tell you if you are running to lean or not.

Comment

If it is the overheat sensor you can check it by unpluging it from your cdi module. The sensor is mounted in the exhaust elbow pipe towards the front of the motor. Follow the electrical lines to the rear electrical box and unplug it. Then test drive to verify. I have seen them go bad before or have been overheated, melted and shorted out. If you are only overheating at idle then your pump may not be providing enough coolent at that speed. Either inspect your pump for wear or the intake area in the venturie. Sometimes it gets cloged with gravel and is hard to see.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
            X