Got Monte Carlo running now need carb advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Monte Carlo running now need carb advice

Bryan, You were right the hot water coming out of exhaust is normal. My problem appears to be carb adjustment which gives off similar indications as if the rpm limiter had kicked in. I printed your advice to another on carb adjustments and took it to the water. I can't seem to get it to accelerate off the line real quick. It bogs a little and then jumps up and then it is like the fuel kicks in and it screams. I would like to get a smoother throttle response. I know this Monte Carlo is not a raceboat but I should be able to maneuver into a turn and punch out of it. Just finished my second tank of gas and the new plugs I put in look real black. Suggestions on low speed carb adjustments??? Thanks again for your help.

Try to ritchen up the low speed adjusters 1/4 of a turn ant test. if it helps than try to fine tune for your best responce. If it makes things worse then go in 1/4 turn in and test again. Ect. Do the same thing for the high speed adjuster. If you are going wide open and you release the throttle about 1/8 then you should hear the motor slow down if not then you are eithe rich or verry lean on top. It sounds like you are rich.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks dank I think I have the high speed Ok it kicks and takes off but this low one seems to be a little tricky. I am almost through my break in period so my fuel is naturally a little richer, should I wait to get through that tank before even attempting to set these. My plugs look too black which I think is a by-product of the rich fuel. Maybe wait until the next tank to get a true indication of spark plug coloration?? That is a tiny screw to get to when you are idling along. What kind of punch should I expect?? Like I said it seems to bog for a second or two and then plane out. SHould I be able to punch that throttle and jump up on plane quickly?? Thanks for your help......

Comment

I would wait to adjust the carbs for @3-4 tanks of gas after the firt two break-in tanks.
        The boat should rev up without much of a bog. Make sure your idle is set correctly and you are not trying to come from a low idle. Also if when you pull the throttle from a standing stop listen to the motor and if it acting like it wants to die than the low speed is too lean. If it is sputtering and then clears the low end may be too rich it may also indicate it is a little rich on top. adjust with very small changes. Wait until the motor has some time on it and is fully broke in. A MoteCarlo isn't a race boat so just go enjoy it and fine tune the carbs later. The extream hot weather will make one run a little rich right now anyway. If you set it up for 100% and it cools back down 15 deg. then it may run too lean and lead to bigger problems. Like they say "Speed costs, how much do you want to pay" longer engine life is a lot better that 1-2 miles an hour or a little better take off.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Yep, I agree with Dank, you're gonna want to wait till you're done with the break-in period before you start to dial in the carbs. Right now you are running pre-mix plus your injection, so if you make any changes to the carbs now, you can end up with a really lean mixture when you start burning regular gas.
          Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

Working...
          X