Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Montego - bouncing up and down?

Hi!

I'm new to TigerSharks and have a pair of 95 Montego's... I have read thru this forum and I am having some of the issues described here - (slow to get moving, cavitating, etc...) Thank you for the great responses!

Now I have a question of my own - and I don't see it on previous posts. While riding either of my Tigersharks on relatively smooth water - they bounce up and down... Any ideas???

Also - can someone tell me exactly what sponsons are used for? And - if they help or not (on older TigerSharks)?

All of those issues are defintely known to the Tigershark Montego, and are related to the drive system's design, and the aluminum impeller used as stock.

Bouncing up and down is called porpoising, and is an inherent problem on the 1995 Tigershark Montego, as well as some other manufacturer's models of that era. It is relative to the hull length, draft, and drive placement. A longer ride plate can help this problem.

Sponsons are used to help with stabilizing the craft while turning. By that they can help you to make a "quicker" turn. What the sponsons actually do is dip into the water, independent of the craft's hull, during turns, and causing drag in the water to force the hull to turn more sharply, thus helping the craft make shaper, more stable turns. Sponsons will help almost any craft, including yours.

[ August 04, 2002, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks John! :D

Is it easy to simply install a longer ride plate, or are there some mods that need to be done to the hull itself?

If I was to install a new impeller - do you recommend a particular type or brand to help curb this problem?

Thanks again.

Comment

If this model has the ride plate that extends under the pump assy with two screws that screw form the bottom into the stator. You can put a washer between the plate and stator to push the rear of the ride plate down some like a trim tab. It wont take much so experiment with different size spacers. If you don't have that type you can look for some BeachHouse sponsons.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dank!

Comment

Working...
          X