Spark plug Gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug Gap

I put a SBT short block in a friends 94 650 Montego we broke the engine in as per the instructions. This past weekend he took the boat out and was doing great when it just turn off. He got it to shore and remove the plugs, the rear plugs electrode had completely close (gap) he had a set of new plugs so he change them and continue with no problems for the rest of the day . I told him to drop the ski off so that I can do a compresion test but I was wondering what would cause the gap to close? He did mention that the ground cable was loose becouse he tighten it after changing the plugs as the boat did not crank over.

The only thing that causes that is debris hitting the plug. Look at the top of the piston as best you can through the plug hole, and take a compression test. It could have been external debris, or part of the piston, ring, bearings, etc. - No way to tell right now. Since he ran it for the rest of the day, it's possible he got real lucky.

Comment

OK will do. Dude thanks for the lightning fast response. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sometimes, if enough water gets in my hull, it gets sucked into intake and mashes my gap. I take a screwdriver and do an on the spot regap if I am out on the water and go. Or carry a gapper.

Comment

Check the carb FA bolts for missing ones. Could have ingested and passed with little dammage.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Severe detonation will also cause a spark plug gap to close. There doesnt have to be any foreign material present, but if he has detonation, that can definitely close the gap.

Comment

If it was that severe I wouldn't expect it to keep running without failing.

Comment

Working...
              X