97 Monte Carlo 770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Monte Carlo 770

Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea as to why my ski won't start.....It has not been in the water all year and when we went to start it, it was a no go. We jumped the battery, figuring it was probably dead, but it wouldn't start. It makes like a clunking sound. Any ideas what could be wrong. It ran fine in the spring? We tried turning the driveshaft and that seems really hard to move, is it suppose to move freely? Any help you could give me would be great!
    Thanks,
    Retta

Remove the plugs so you can spin the crank easier. First thing I'd do is put a new battery in there then try again. I have heard it is not good practice to try an jump start a pwc.

You probably need to provide more info so we can help out.

Was it winterized?
    How long has it been sitting?
    Any water get into the motor the last time you drove it?
    How old are the plugs?

Steve

Comment

I have had a problem like that one time where the startor just kind of died on me. What happened is the ground wire came loose.
      trace the ground wire back the the block, also check the one on the startor.

Once I tightened that nut everything work like normal, it just had backed off a little.

Comment

Here are some answers to the questions:

Yes it was winterized
        It has been sitting 4 or 5 months
        No water in the engine
        Don't really know how old the plugs are but it doesn't even act like it is firing.

The guy here at work (who supposedly knows a lot about this stuff) told me to go home and just hook the battery cables from the ski directly to the jumper cables and try starting it, well that didn't work either. We are afraid something is seized up, could that be the case???? It has been greased regulary and very well taken care of. I guess I'm just scared. Our new battery will be here today, I will try that at lunch time and if that doesn't work, we will check the ground wire and follow it through, and check the plugs. If after reading this you can think of more, please let me know.

Thanks!
        Retta

Comment

Retta, If you can turn the motor over by hand then is has to be something in the the starter/battery system Next step would be connect battery wires to a good battery directly and try the starter again. If it just clunks and doesent turn motor over then either the starter is bas or has a loose/ bad connection of a ground or positive lead. Connect a jumper cable between battery ground and the engine block to eliminate the ground wire.

If it is still hard to turn over by hand or impossible then you are going to have to isolate the motor from the pump to see if the pump is seized or the engine. You will have to remove the steering cable from steering nossel and the 4 big bolts holding the pump. There is also a hose you will have to remove. After you remove the impeller try truning is if it is smoothe then it was not you problem. the driveshaft may be seized on the floating bearing assy so check that also.

Try this and get back to us.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Here is a real dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway.....without the spark plugs being out will the driveshaft turn? We tried turning it with the plugs in and it barely would turn(it moved some, but not a lot). Dank--you mentioned the pump, which pump are you referring to? Thanks for all of your speedy replies, I'm new with having troubles with this ski. Figures...we just made the last payment on the thing!LOL

btw: we replaced the prop and had the ring resurfaced a year and half ago.

Thanks again.
            Retta

Comment

Yes, that sound like what it is. A lot of time when a battery is that dead it will not let you jump it off. Test the battery or replace it.

Comment

Okay... let's see.

If the plugs are in - the crank/engine should be very difficult to turn, that's the compression of the motor going against you. if the plugs are out it should turn easier, much easier.

What dank is refering to is the Jet Pump, the prop/impeller area - this is in the back of the ski where the nozzle is to turn and so forth. You impeller (prop) is back inside that cylinder area. I guess he is thinking if something is caught up in there, it would prevent the motor from kicking over (spinning).

I am really guessing you got a bad battery on this one... Before you go noodling around, get a new battery and see what happens.

Just as an fyi - when your boat is in hybernation, it is a good idea to remove the battery and charge it monthly on a charger for a few hours (4 hrs). Trickle charge at 2 amps.

Good Luck
                Steve

Comment

Okay...well we put the new battery in and it still won't turn over. If the starter is shot is there a way to tell of course other than not startingLOL. Also, does anyone have an idea what one costs? I'm considering taking it to the local marina that will repair this, but I don't want to get soaked a lot of money.UGHHH

Thank for any information you guys have given or give me.
                  Retta

Comment

When you press the ignition button, what happens? You said before it makes a clunking noise... was this noise coming from the motor or elsewhere (starter area?).

Were you able to spin the crank/motor when the plugs are removed?

Steve

[ August 21, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: SteveStL ]

Comment

It sounds like you either have a bad bendix, pump issue, or internal engine problems.

Comment

When you press the starter button you should hear a clicking sound from the rear electrical box. That would be the solinoid. If it is not clicking and you have a good battery then either one of these or more is bad "starter button assy, battery cables, wireing harness,or solinod. Sound like you should take it to a mechanic for further trubleshooting. They will be able to eliminate a lot of these easily.

Comment

Working...
                        X