OK, need a little help here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, need a little help here

We got everything set up, and when we turn the engine over it'll fire off one stroke, and then it seems as if it doesn't have any spark. We pull the plugs, which are coated in a milky looking liquid. Clear out the cylinders, reinstall the plugs, and the process repeats itself. Any ideas or pointers? We haven't touched the carb adjustments at all since pulling the old engine and installing the new one, so we're hoping we won't have to try and deal with tuning the carbs. Thanks.

By any chance did you turn the water on BEFORE you tried to start the engine? If you did, then you filled the crankcases up with water.

Please post with more specifics, maybe we can help you out.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

A sign of "that" is the "milky-white" substance on the spark plugs. And you would need to start the engine before you turn the water on!

What was the cause of the original engine's failure? Have you located the original problem, or are you just fixing the symptoms?

Did you clean the carburetors? Did you clean out the fuel tank?

It is possible to have water in your fuel.

[ August 18, 2002, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

There was a little white stuff on the spark plug. what do I need to do to get it out?
        thanks

Comment

I don't think so, what would be a sign of that and what would need to be done to fix that.
          Any other Ideas?

Comment

Well apparently bhilport doesn't feel like giving details.

The original engine seized up after running dry of oil. It had problems already, since it burned off the full tank of oil in just a little over 1 tank of gas, not to mention the saltwater corrosion found in the crankcase. Anyway, there is a freshly rebuilt SBT engine sitting in the hull now. The carbs were cleaned out, but not rebuilt. The fuel tank was not cleaned out, but was mostly empty while the ski sat up for 3 months.

So it looks like we may have to siphon out the fuel and put a fresh tank in there, but what about any water that may have gotten into the crankcase?

Also, after bhilport had been trying to start it for a while yesterday, I had him pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to clear the cylinders...a slight mist of fuel (and/or water apparently) was spraying out and then a massive shot of it came out, as if it had been clogged and the clog just let go. Hard to explain really, but it was a sudden burst. I was holding a paper towel over the plug holes and it felt like I got punched in the palm of my hand. That scared me a bit, but the engine still turns over fine.

Anyway, this is getting long and drawn out, so thanks for any help ya'll can give.

Comment

That was water or fuel that was sitting at the bottom of the cranckcase. If it is sitting there log more than 1-2 days you have dammaged the lowwer end bearings or shortend there life. It will take a few turn of the motor to transfer it to the top of the pistons and expel it from the spark plug holes. Also if the area above the pistons doesen't create a vacume on the way down it may not transfer it at all. To help clear the bottom end try holding a rag tight over the spark plug hole to create the needed vacume. Be sure to ground the plugs wires or you might damage the electrical system or ignite the fuel/water vapor. I have had experience with that once. [img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]
              Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

bhilport and I were trying to turn the engine over again, and now all we're getting is a clicking sound when we try to start it. Tried charging the battery, but no luck, still does the same thing. If you put your hand against the electronics box, you can feel something in it move each time it makes the click, so I suppose it could easily be related, but not sure how. The other thought is that maybe the starter is burned out, but can't figure out why or how that would have happened. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comment

See this thread.

Comment

hmmm...this wouldn't be hydro-locked would it? If you have any H2O in your crankcase, you best work 24/7 to get it out. I had gotten water into mine a few years ago and it sat at the dealer for a day and all the lower end bearings were pretty much shot. Oh, yeah, i should mention that I had just enough water in my cylinder to not be able to turn over (since water is not compressable) and i stripped out my starter gear, so when i would go to start it, all i would hear was the starter motor running. That's why it was at the dealer, because i couldn't turn the engine over to get the water out. The whole situation sucked.

[ August 23, 2002, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: lownrangr ]
                    Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

I don't think there's much, if any, water sitting in the bottom of the crankcase. It seemed to me like it had cleared pretty well when I pulled the plugs and turned the engine over last weekend. bhilport has the exhaust and the starter off now, trying to figure out if the starter is bad. Any easy/safe way to test the starter when it's off the ski? I don't suppose we could just ground it and link it to the positive terminal of a battery with a jumper cable, could we? Seems harmless enough, just to see if it'll spin.

Also, we know it isn't hydrolocked, we can turn the engine over just fine by gripping the coupler at the back of the engine and rotating it.

Comment

Working...
                      X