Cranking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranking problem

When I go to crank my 1997 Monte Carlo 770, it hums and doesn't sound like it's trying to turn over. Anyone got any suggestions?

Find out if the humm you heare is the bilge pump or the starter motor.

If it is the bilge pump then check you battery charge and connections for loose fitting or corrosion.

If ok then you wil have to remove the cover form the electrical box and jumper the wires on the starter relay " the two big ones. this should turn over the starter. If it does not then either the starter if bad or the cables are not making good conections at either the starter/relay/battery ends.

You can use a jumper cable between the battery pos. and the starter to bypass the starter system. Be carefull it it a live wire and will arc to anythig grounded in the boat. Touch it to the starter post and the starter should turn over.

Also check the engine ground wire on the starter mounting bolt to see if it is in good condition. You can take a jumper cable from the battery ground to a ground point on the block to test it.

If the starter turns over but not the engine the the starter bendix is not engaging the flywheel or the flywheel is spinning on the crankshaft you can look down the inspection hole to see if the flywheel is turning. I either case you will have to remove the front engine cover to inspect and repair both.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Try this thread.

Comment

Sounds like a dead battery to me.

Steve

Comment

I thought it was the battery too but I charged it and when I tried to crank it I measured 12.61 Volts on it. Can you jump one off of the car battery?

Comment

As long as the car is not running, yes.

Comment

dank (and Bryan),

Thanks. Ca nyou show me on here here where you are talking about jumping? I just want to make sure I get the right things jumped.

[ October 01, 2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

You want to jump acrost the starter solinoid #16 on the starter diagram page. It will have 2 big nots with 2 red wires. One from the battery and one to the starter. It is just a switch and you should here it click when you press the starter button.
                Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

My battery crapped out on me this summer, on my 97 Monte Carlo. The battery gave off 12 volts when sitting idle and when out under a load (trying to start the motor) ....but all I would get a hum sound from the electrical box. I took the cover off the box then put the meter on the Relay, I think, I tried to crank it again but the Relay would only give us a 3, or something, on the meter. Went out and bought a new battery and it has been fine ever since.

This sounds, maybe, similar to your story. Try getting a new battery and see what happens, especially before you start tearing things down

Good Luck - Steve

Comment

it won't be the bilge pump if the engine doesn't turn over
                    Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

i'm still thinking it can be the starter bendix.
                      Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

Thanks for everybodies help. Actually, when I tried to jump the PWC (with the car off) it cranked right up so it does seem to be the battery. Where do you recommend getting a replacement from (a boat center or can you get it from WalMart/Sears)?

Comment

I was looking for the replacement battery part number and I'm really confused. Brownleisure listed the battery as the YB14L-A2 which is a 14V battery. A few other places I saw the PC625 (which is a replacement for the YB16CL-B a 16V battery). Help please.

Comment

the 16CLB is the size and amperage you want, and you can get them almost anywhere.

They are all 12V batteries, the 14, 16 and 20 are ratings of amperage.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I went and got a new battery, am charging it, and will try it out tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X