greasing the bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greasing the bearing

A quick question, when greasing the impeller shaft bearing, exactly how much grease should be squeezed in? How do I know that there is enough in there? Thanks
    Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

1-2 full pumps per year is all that is required. You can't check it without disassembly.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Sorry Brian, I have had a lot of time working on the Tigersharks. The driveshaft should be greased every 10hrs running time or more. They have had a hard time keeping the floating bearing from seizeing on the shaft. What I do is just grease the shaft each time I ride just after putting it on the trailer, that way it is ready for next time and any water is displaced from the driveshaft seal area. you can look at the front of the shaft where it exits the seal and when you see grease squirting out it is full.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

My appologies, I thought this was a Yamaha. This isn't Bryan, but I'm learning.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Dank

I have a 1995 Monte Carlo... for the life of me I can't find a zerk fitting to grease anything on the entire water craft. Looking at the shop manual is no help as I see nothing there as well. What do you recommend as far as how to grease the drive shaft and other parts?

Thanks Brian

Comment

There are no zerk fittings. They are a different style like what it on the end of a chain saw bar.

It looks likke a little dish that a pointed gun fitting goes into. You should be able to get one from a lawn and garden shop.

There will be one on the engine coupler if you still have the small size @ 2 1/2" diameter, and one on the top of the floating bearing where the driveshaft exits the hull.

You should also change the jet pump oil in the impeller stator at least once every 2 years or 50hrs. running. Once a year for a 900/1000.

Comment

Thanks for the reply... I'll have to wait till spring to start looking for the dish type fitting... Ski is packed away for the long (cold) winter. I have been changing the jet pump oil... so I'm good there.

What type of grease is recommended?

Thanks for the help

Comment

Use a marine sythetic grese.

Comment

I've also had similar concern in my mind.

I've owne my 1995 900 Tigershark for over a year now, and have messed with the motor but never messed with greasing or oil in the pump area.

I thought the 900 didn't require these services? Looks like you guys are saying that I do need to worry about it.

So, can someone run me through the procedures again? Do I need to dissasemble anything? Thanks
                  Joe Kissell<br />-1995 Tigershark 900<br />-1986 Kawasaki 650 X2

Comment

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the '95 use oil instead of a grease-able bearing. If in fact it does use oil, i think i remember it has to be changed every 10 hrs?
                    Triple L Racing<br />Novice Runabout 1200 Stock<br />Region 6, #713

Comment

I've searched the manual thourghouly serveral times and never really seen anything on matainece for the 900 pump.
                      All the book goes into is how to dissasemble.

Comment

The 900 does use oil so the procedure for changing it:

1. remove the drain screw from the bottom of the pump housing. It is located under the intake grate.
                        2. unscrew the bellows fitting on the top of the jet pump housing.
                        3. let drain. If milky white suspect seal problems.
                        4. replace drain screw.
                        5. fill with new oil. 4oz I think. I can check a manual if needed.
                        6. replace the bellows fitting.

If you had water in the old oil repeate this procedure in 2 hrs of run time to check for more water. If present replace the shaft seals.

Comment

I've seriously hard and haven't been able to see anything. I've looked on Brown's Leisure World page and searched the diagrams for a 1995 900, but no drain plug or similar parts.

Can anyone else find it and then tell me the part number?

Thanks,
                          Joe

Comment

You are right, If you look at the 95 Montego you will see what I was talking about. I pulled the manual on you ski and you do not have anyway to lube the fron bearing unless you remove the seals and bearing and repack it. You can and should inspect / change the rear oil every year or two.

The procedure is:

1. Disconnect steering and trim cables.
                            2. Disconnect water lines from pump.
                            3. Remove four bolts holding stator.
                            4. Pull impeller assy off to rear.
                            5. Place on 2 wood blocks impeller down.
                            6. Remover 2 cap screws holding cover.
                            7. Remove cover.
                            8. Drain oil from housing.
                            9. If oil is milky change all seals.
                            10. Inspect seals and bearings.

* Bearings can be purchased locally for a lot
                            less money then OEM.

11. Clean impeller assy.
                            12. Fill assy with 59ml / 2 fl oz of jet pump lube.
                            or until it is 6mm / 1/4 in. from the top.
                            13. Inspect o-ring on bearing cover and install.

* I use sealent on the o-ring/ cover but the
                            manual does not say you need it.

14. Apply grease to impller splines / grommet
                            and install the impleller assy.

* Make sure splines are aligned with shaft.

15. Install stator and tighten four bolts to
                            13-16 ft-lbs.
                            16. Connect water line.
                            17. Connect steering and trim cables.

This should get you ready for the summer.

I would replace all bearings and seal "front and rear" in that pump due to the age of it. If the front bearing seizes it will ruin the pump housing and driveshaft which are a lot of money. It will only cost $100 for all the seals and bearings to be good for another 5 years.

Comment

Okay I finally got around to trying to change the impeller oil today. There may be a problem!

I was right with you up until step number 8. Problem is that there was not oil under the cap.

It looks like a sealed bearing that needs a special tool to remove. I can't see any reason why you would even want oil under the cap in this one spot.

I have pictures if that will help. Let me know how to send them to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X