640 tigershark burnt piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 640 tigershark burnt piston

Hi, question is what type of plugs does a '97 montego take. I put br8es' in it and it burnt a hole in the mag piston. I let my "friend" take it to the lake and he brought it back like this. Can't really blame him since I discovered that the coolant hose that runs from the top of the head out the hull was clogged with dirt dobbers. Shouldn't the ski have seized before it burnt a hole in the piston? On last thing, should there be a thermostat under the housing?

BR9ES plugs
    The overheating caused the hole along with the hot plug.
    There is no thermostat under the cover.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I have just noticed that I too have a small hole in the mag piston head right below the spark plug. Since the crank and bearings are all brand new already, is it possible just to remove the head and replace the piston head and rings without pulling the motor?

Also, is there a Haynes manual, or some other book I could use to rebuild the top end of this 640 in my 95 TS Daytona? I can't find anything on overhaul procedures. Thanks.

Patrick

Comment

You can rebuild the top end in the boat.

Order a top end kit from here. If you pistons are stock and you don't have any major scroring just order the .5mm kit.

Remove the battery, exhaust, carb, starter, head, cylinder.

Have the cylinders machined to the proper clearence and replace above items in reverse order. Using a new head of course.

The only manuals are from Tigershark parts. I will look to see if I have an extra 640 manual or email me an I can send you the instructions.

BTW I have a running 640 motor for sale if you need it or want it for the parts. $500 plus shipping from NC.

Comment

When you burn a hole, the molten aluminum goes down and contaminates the crank bearings. If you only do a top-end job you can count on a bearing failure in the future from it.

[ April 21, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I read his post wrong I thought he said there was a hole in the head not the piston.

Comment

So I guess I will have to pull the motor in order to remove any possible debris from the burnt piston head. Yuck

A 640 TS manual would be immensely helpful if you manage to find one. Please let me know; I am anxious to start work on this engine (again).

Patrick

Comment

You can't remove all the debris - it's bonded with the ball bearings. You need a complete rebuild if you want to do it right.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I don't have an extra but if you have a fax nuber I can send you that section.

Comment

I can get you a fax number, if you let me know where to send it to (rather not post numbers on the message board).

The motor still runs, and does not exhibit any signs of a spinning or spun bearing, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

This is gonna cost out the wazzoo from what it sounds like.

Patrick

Comment

If it is that bad I would go the SBT exchange route. It is a whole lot less that if you did the work yourself plus you get a year warranty on the engine.

Click the email button on the right of my responce to send me the info on the fax number.

Comment

done

Comment

I have them....

Comment

dank,

we have pulled the intake side of the engine apart in preparation for pulling the motor, but during this, we have discovered even more damage.

the reed valve assembly (not the valve itself, but that triangular chunk of metal) has a good size crack in it. from what i have found on the net, the only way to purchase this item is to buy the whole assembly. We only need to get the aluminum piece of this and i was hoping that maybe you could point me to a place that would sell this item only (since most places want 100+ bucks for it).

I am assuming that this item is non repairable if cracked, but if it is, please inform me of how to repair it. The reeds themselves look to be in good condition.

Thanks.

patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X