X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 900 NEEDS Help?!!?

PLEASE READ: I fear I may have Major engine failure:
    [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
    I was out on the lake yesterday trying to fine tune my carbs a bit. I decided to richen up all the high and low screws anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 turns. To test out the change, I was racing back and forth at full throttle. After about 3 minutes, the motor started to sound like it lost a cylinder and I began losing power! I heard an unusual vibration (CLANKING) noise! Anyhow, the motor seized on me and I had to get towed back to shore!
    [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Once I got it back on the trailer and out of the water, I did a little inspection. I found that the spark plug from the #1 cyclinder (mag side) was damaged! I just put in new plugs about 30 minutes earlier and gaped them at .031in. The #1 plug now has ZERO gap like it had been pushed up by the piston! Also, it was grayish in color and had lots of debry melted to it! What does that mean?

I was able to spin the coupler to get the motor free. The motor did turn over, but there was a VERY unusual loud clanking noise coming from the mag side of the motor!

Additional details: I use 87 octane, I DO NOT premix the oil and gas. What else do you need to know?
    Joe Kissell<br />-1995 Tigershark 900<br />-1986 Kawasaki 650 X2

My advice would be to pull the head and check your pistons.

If the motor seized and you try to still run it you are only creating more damage.

I checked a GSX the other day that had been torched. If you can turn the prop then it could be just piston wash or you lost bearings.

Get inside it and look for any type of damage including the crank.

Best of luck to you! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Texas Team Yamaha<br />#519 Novice <br />Region 5<br /><br /><a href="http://texasteamyamaha.com" target="_blank">Texas Team Yamaha</a>

Comment

Richening your screws didn't hurt it, but something sure did. You are gauranteed to have a toasted top-end at the very least. Pull the engine and tear it down for inspection.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I should be able to dig into it this week.

My initial thoughts are perhaps I richened it to the point that it ran way to hot and melted parts of the piston to the plug.

Another theory is that I've somehow sheared the flywheel key and now my PWC is severly out of time.

What are your thoughts on these possibilities?
        Thanks for the quick advice!!

[ June 02, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Ignis ]

Comment

If you ritchen the carbs then it will run much cooler not hotter. You will probley find either a broken couterbancer shaft, bearing or piston. Nothing that SBT can't take care of. Ditch that balancer shaft whatever you do.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Dank, what do you mean ditch the balancer shaft?

Do you mean it'll need replacing no matter what? Or do you mean that it isn't needed at all on the craft?

Comment

Tigershark, and many dealers, found that removing the counterbalance shaft made the engine smoother and produced more power - it was a bad design to begin with.

Comment

They also had a nasty habit of breaking in half and going threw the engine cases.

Not a good thing at all.

I think there was a recall on them at one time but not 100% sure.

Comment

add a crankshaft to that list of parts also and possibly a case.

Comment

the parts came from a bearing or the piston scirt. Go ahead and pull the carbs,exhaust pipe and minifold, jet pump and driveshaft, ground and starter wires, oil line from oil filter and cap off. Then pull the motor. Then you can inspect it to see if there is any damage to the case.

With that much damage on a 95-96 go ahead and have the whole engine rebuilt.

Comment

Okay, I dug into her today.

The piston in the #1 cylinder is chewed up pretty good! I found metal filings along with LARGE chuncks of metal right under the piston. The cylinder is scored. And the head is damaged as well.

Where did these metal pieces come from? I've installed flame arrestors on my intake. So, nothing could have gotten inside.

Anyhow, there is now significant freeplay between the rod and the crankshaft. Does that mean I may just need new bearings, or is my crankshaft destroyed! I'm sure many of those metal chunks made there way down into the crankcase.

I almost got the crankcase apart tonight too, but I didn't have any sort of puller that will take the flywheel off. Any recommendations? I'm going shopping tomorrow to see if I can find something that will work.

Anyhow, so far I know I need:
                      -1 piston
                      -1 set of rings
                      -1 cylinder
                      -1 head

Any other thoughts?
                      How much for a set of 3 oversize pistons and rings? Does anyone NOT recommend doing that?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help and your time for reading this long post! I took pictures and will try to get them to you guys soon.

Comment

Get an SBT engine at this point. I have rebuilt sharks, and sometimes it is alot easier to just trade out the entire thing. If you do choose to do it yourself, make sure you coat the head gasket in permatex copper gasket coating. It really makes a nice difference in the longevity of the head. When you chew up a cylinder, sometimes heat can cause slight warpage on the lip of the case and you start going through seasonal gaskets. That is where the copper coating shines. IMO [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

[ June 04, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: titanic ]

Comment

Replacement is way too expensive IMHO [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

I've found someone who may be willing to sell me their used crankshaft. But if that doesn't work, I'll just buy the parts and then pay someone to rebuild the crank. I'd like to do it myself, but I think that might be good to leave to a professional.
                          I guess I'll remove the counter balancer at that time. I'm really uncomfortable with that, but if that's what you guys recommend?

Other than that, I'm not doing too bad. I know where I can get a cheap cylinder and head.

Now, I have to make a decision. Replace the destroyed piston and rings with standard stuff, and get the cylinders honed.
                          ORRRR buy a set of oversize pistons and rings, and get the cylinders overbored.
                          But I have questions about that: I'm a rec rider who honestly never seems to have the patience to let the craft warm up too much before WOT! How much overbore should I go?
                          Should I get the head machined as well? Will this change mean that I'll have to fuss with finding the right jetting later?

Does SBT carry pistons and rings for me? If so, I'd love to hear some prices. I checked the "Products" link, but I think the link may be down.

Comment

When you rerbuild the crankshaft replace the gear that drives the couterbalancer with the spaced from the 1000 crank.

On the pistons just go as little as you need to give you room for the next time without resleave. You will need to hone it to remove any scratches / taper / out or round. Once this is done you canse wheere you are at and order the corect pistons for the proper clearence. You will have to hone it to the proper clearence after you get the pistons since every piston is a little different.

This is a lot of work and parts. Check it out first before you decide that a rebuilt motor is way too much money.

Comment

The Catalog page is fine - Click the Get Acrobat Reader if your computer is having a problem viewing it, you are out of date. Yes we carry parts for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X