No announcement yet.

TS 900 NEEDS Help?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would I need to replace the gear on my counter balancer? Couldn't I just leave it there? I did see a diagram of an 1999 TS 1100 crankshaft. It had a spacer in place of the gear. I'm assuming this is what you're talking about?

Where's the best place to buy that spacer?

ALSO:
    I can't understand why everyone is telling me to just buy a new motor
    [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]
    Rebuild the crank for $500. I can locate and the other parts I need for under $200.

Or buy a new motor for $1500

Personally, I'd rather have the extra $800 in my pockter. Plus, it's really not that much work. I had the entire motor out and dissasembled in one evening. Of course putting it back together will take me 3 times as long, but it's worth $800 to me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ June 05, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Ignis ]
    Joe Kissell<br />-1995 Tigershark 900<br />-1986 Kawasaki 650 X2

Comment

Not sure where you can get all the gaskets, seals, pistons, rings, top end bearings, bore job with a one year warranty for under $200. Not to mention if you do it wrong you get to buy everything over again and maybe more.

If you can let me know where?

I guess you can leave the gear on but you can replace it for a few dollars with the spacer to lighten the crank a little more. Any Artic Cat dealer should be able to order it or there are some online sources.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

$200 will buy you about 1 1/2 pistons. Maybe you meant $1200.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I've already have a complete top end kit. I picked it up over a year ago at a good price and thought I might need it someday.
          [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img] One thing I didn't notice though until tonight is that I have 3 base cylinder gaskets that are all identical. Each one says "MAG" on it! :( To my knowlege, I can't use that same gasket on each cylinder. Can I?

The other parts, I'm comfortable going with used stuff from other people's 900's as long as the used stuff is in good condition.

Here's something you guys might find interesting: I didn't get around to pulling out the crank today, because I had to go buy a flywheel puller. Anyhow, once I got in there, I found no sign of a balancer! A previous owner must have taken it out already! The gear was still in with it. I think I like to take Dank's advice and remove the gear.

My problem did come from a failed rod bearing. the metal shards found their way into my #1 cylinder.
          Can I bet on the crankshaft journel being trashed? Basically, if you havn't caught on by now, I'm going with the quick fixes. Is there any chance I can just throw in a single rod bearing and have an okay crankshaft?

Comment

You might be ok but it's a big gamble if it lets go and destroys the cases / cylinder.

Comment

The base gasket should be one piece.The holes are progressivly smaller for efficient cooling.Its important it goes on the right way, hence the 'mag' label.sounds like you have the same 'piece'from each gasket?
              I had exactly the same thing happen to my engine last month, and i would bet all the journal bearings will be well worn.

Comment

Okay, I've decided to send the crank in to SBT to have them do the work on that. I think I'd feel most comfortable with that option.

Now on the cylinders, can someone exlplain to me how they work?
                I've had people tell me that the sleeve is so thin, you wouldn't even want to hone it! That sounds like B.S. to me. Can you bore out the standard size sleeve to 1mm over? SBT is selling 1mm oversized pistons and that may be the route I decide to go.

Also, if I do have to re-sleeve, how hard is that? How much should I expect to spend to have someone do it for me?

[ June 09, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Ignis ]

Comment

Okay, I guess I may just go with a resleeve on my bad cylinder and a light hone on the other two. Does SBT do that too?

After that, I'll still be in need of a good head, as mine has quite a few dents in it. Anyone know where I can get one of those?

Also, I havn't gotten a reply back from the sales dept of SBT yet. I just wanted to double check that the $475 for the crank rebuild includes all the parts from seals to rod wrist (small end) pins & bearings.

Thanks again for all the great help. It's really appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes it's $475. Cranks come with all the inner seals and all bearings. We have just a seal kit for the outers, or a complete internal gasket kit, everything is in the Catalog, take a look.

No we don't do resleeving or shop services.

No you cannot resleeve one and have the others still Nicasiled, and you cannot run different size pistons. You either have to sleeve all three or have all three replated.

Comment

The nikasil coating on the cylinder is what they are talking about. It is thin and when you overbore you just have a steel cylinder that not coated. May not last as long as the coating but how many jet ski engines die from old age and the cylinders worn out?

Comment

I have a good clean 900 head and studs with no corosion for $75.00

Comment

Dank, if you also have a cylinder, then, I could probably just get by with a hone right???
                          Let me know what you're asking if you do have it.

If not, any recommendations as to where I can get the the resleeving or even replating done?

Or, is this something I can do myself?

[ June 10, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Ignis ]

Comment

Talk to a local dealer - they will have a shop they work with.

Comment

If you just want to do one cylinder check with US Chrome. They are the company that did them for Tigershark production. They can hone it back round and replate it then come back and hone it to the proper specs. You will have to call them for prices. I do have two cylinders/head sets and one extra head. Both of the cylinders need replateing or bore. I am saving for someone that needs them for an engine rebuild.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Dank. But I think I'll probably just get mine resleeved.

Tech Support, you mentioned earlier:
                                No you cannot resleeve one and have the others still Nicasiled, and you cannot run different size pistons. You either have to sleeve all three or have all three replated.
                                I've had several people tell me that it is perfectly fine to run different size pistons. In fact, does anyone know if I could take a cylinder, head, and piston from an 1000 or 1100 and make it work in conjunction with my other two 900 cylinders, heads, and pistons?

I've still yet to get a reply from the SBT sales dept. My crank needs one of the seal rings replaced. Is that included in the rebuild? Also, would you guys be willing to put in that spacer for me in place of the balancer gear?

Looks like you guys were right, the cost is getting pretty high!!!
                                I MAY consider buying a 1000 engine from SBT and putting that in my 900 hull. Would it work fine with everything as is, Or would I have to make other modifications?

[ June 12, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Ignis ]

Comment

Working...
                                X