'95 Daytona, reverse thread??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Daytona, reverse thread??

Wow, this site is great. Just to confirm, you do need to pull the fly wheel off of a 640cc in order to remove the bendix. The motor is now on the bench and my question is:

Is the 14mm fly wheel bolt a reverse thread?

I figured I would ask the question before I fired up the compressor!!

Thanks,
    Mike

Normal thread, and yes you do.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks very much!! Is there any special trick to reducing the amount of condensation/water that gets in the mag case?? The o-rings on the case and cap are in good condition.

Are there any special tools required to clean/repair the bendix? The exterior looks in good shape although the fly wheel has some minor corrosion on it.

Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

There shouldn't be ANY that gets in there, it's ealed. Either your gasket/surface of the cover is breached, or it's coming in the starter shaft.

Comment

Thanks,
          I just bought the boat. The previous owner had a new starter put in thinking that was the problem. I will check the starter installation to make sure it is sealed. Is there an o-ring seal on the starter side?

Comment

I believe so, yes.

Comment

Remember on that model Tigershark, There is a plastic accordian looking thingy under the motor by the starter that is supposed to expand when it gets hot. All of them I have ever seen have been torn causing water to easily enter the stator/bendix area. Most of the mechanics I know simply cap them off since it is so hard to get to. It only costs about $8.00 to replace with a new one, but honestly, does it really serve a purpose? None of the other motor manufactuors use one.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will look for cracks in the "accordian". I do remember seeing it there. It sounds like a good idea to just cap it off.

I now have the starter bendix in hand. It seems to me that one needs a press to compress the belleville washers and remove the split rings. Is this correct, or is there another way to get this thing apart?

Comment

Well, I figured out how to pull the thing apart. The bendix is now apart and cleaned. Some of the spiral gears have minor corrosion but no pitting. I plan on touching these up with a small file. I plan on using marine grease on all the gears during reassembly. I don't want to have to pull the engine again to fix this. I also plan on plugging the "accordian" hole.

Comment

Working...
                  X