95 Monte Carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Monte Carlo

First of all let me say thanks for having this website. Okay, here is my problem. I bought this 1995 Monte Carlo off of a friend that had became to ill to ride it. The last time they rode it they said that it seemed to loose power. Well in about the same time the local store had a problem with water in thier gas so I suspected that to be the problem. I bought that craft for 300.00 including the trailer. I carried it to the local marine shop and they said everything had water in it (tank, lines, carb etc). The cleaned everything as best as they could they said (wasnt the answer I wanted since they charged me 80.00) but maybe they did a good job I thought. I first bought a bottle of HEAT to place in with the fuel since I may have some moisture around somewhere. I took it to the river and it started ok. Ran like a top for about 30 seconds and just died. Well after about 3 tries of such a ordeal I began pulling the choke out once it started dying. After several times of this the problem went away. Great! I thought but it was shortlived. After riding about a hour in just sudenly lost power. It will only go about half throttle and if you advance the throttle it will really bog down. With just me on there (180, yeah yeah!!) it will do about 20 maybe unless you are going upriver. The crazy thing it it will sit and idle all day and no problem until you take off. It this another water problem? The spark plugs are fireing. Anyones help would be appreciated I dont want to take it back to the shop. But 150 miles from the next one. Is there something I can check myself and drain or whatever I need to do. I am a paramedic not a mechanic. Please make it simple for me..Usually my patients just need a quick ride, now I am the one wanting the ride...Good day guys. Any help is appreciated
    Troy. Singleton

$80 is really cheap, they didn't do much, or what was really needed - a full carb rebuild.

You need two Mikuni SBN rebuild kits and need to rebuild the carbs yourself or take it to a shop to have it done. There are articles, guides and videos here to show you how.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Wow that was impressive. Since I posted last it got the best of me so I took the carb off. Took both side pieces off. In each of these was clear liquid. Looked just like water but smelt like gas. It the carb shouldnt the gas be already mixed? I was thinking it would be colored if it was already mixed? Where do I see the guide and stuff at?
      Troy. Singleton

Comment

thats water.

Disasemble the carbs compleatly and spay cleaner threw all the jets.

Then drain and mop out the fuel tank. Blow out the fuel lines and change the filters.

Re-assemble and you should be back on the water.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Well I did the carb. I took it apart and sprayed carb cleaner thru all the holes that I could see (riminder I know nothing about mechanics). I sprayed in thru everything and shook it out and took air and blowed everything back out till it dried. put it back on it fired right up and i took it back to the river and same ole stuff. When I take off it does kinda right till i get about 1/4th throttle then it bogs down and slowly gaines speed. while you got it full throttle then it just sounds like it is bogginhg down but if you let off the throttle till about maybe 3/4 and then it starts picking up speed again. A friend of mine said something that the high speed jet may be clogged. Where is it located and how do i unclogg it. Also it is smoking more than it use to and when it is running it only sounds like it is hitting on one cylinder (so my father says). But is is running ruff. Another friend said that it might be shooting oil thru the jet but no gas and is causeing it to flood out? Is that possible. Thanks for the help guys
          Troy. Singleton

Comment

It may be only running on one pull one plug wire off and try to start after it is warmed up then repete for the other cylinder. Do a compression check while you are at it.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Dude, read my post.

Comment

Well I am on my way back to the shop with it. They are going to rebuild my carb for me since I know nothing about it. One more thing. Does it only spray water out of 1 hole or should be be coming out of more than one?

Thanks
                Troy. Singleton

Comment

One bypass fitting.

Comment

Thanks, I am going to take it to the shop this afternoon. 1 more thing I am not sure that I mentioned after you take the spark plugs out one will be wet oily looking and the other will be dry. Is there something else I need to tell them to do for that problem. I think that is the part of the main problem it is only hitting on 1 cylinder.
                    Troy. Singleton

Comment

So where abouts in Arkansas are you from?

Jim

Comment

I am from the DeWitt area...the repairman is suppose to come down tomorrow and work on my stuff hopefully I can get on the water before the weekend. I am only home for 10 days on leave and I have to go back monday to Ft. Polk, LA and then back to Iraq
                        Troy. Singleton

Comment

Boy I sure hope you get out on the water... If I was local to you I'd bring my ski over and let ya use it... THANKS for walking the line and defending our GREAT Nation.

Stay Safe.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah I was there from March to June then I got injured and got shiped back for "repair work". Now the docs say that I am almost fixed so I requested to go back and be with my unit. I figured I started with them I will finish with them. If I didnt think I could do the job I never would have raised my hand. Like my father always said War is a ugly sight but freedom makes it look beautiful. Thanks for the kind words and hopefully I can get on the water sometime today or later before Ihave to go back.
                            Troy. Singleton

Comment

I'm having what sounds like the same problem w/my 1995 Montecarlo...it has been in the shop for 2 months now. My mechanic says it's getting too much fuel. Last year it had the same problem. He said he put the smallest jets available in the carb. Says that the carb should'nt be bad. At first he thought it might be the CDI. I bought a new one to the tune of $350.00...he says that is not the problem...he has checked the exhaust. No prob there. I asked him to humor me and put a new carb in...said he did not have time to do it. How long can that take? The closest dealer says they will no longer work on them...so far I am out $600.00 this year and no fix to the prob. ...any suggestions? Out of desperation I went and picked it up from the mechanic since it was just rotting sitting out in the weather at his shop. I seem to be "stuck" with this thing and there is no dealer around to help me. I bought this new...the engine had to be replaced 2 months after I got it. (warranty).

Comment

Working...
                              X