Flywheel Removal, bad break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel Removal, bad break

Alright I made a stupid mistake last night while I was removing the flywheel from a '99 770r. I had the engine up on my work bench slid close to the edge so that I could turn the puller bolt easier. I would tighten and then hit the bolt with my shop hammer like I always do. I did this for about three repetitions. While I was putting the hammer down the last time to switch to the wrench to tighten the puller some more, I heard this pop, which kind of startled me. Needless to say it was the flywheel releasing from the flywheel; which would have been great, except for the fact that it came completely off the flywheel and free fell about 3 feet to the concrete floor below. The puller had enough weight to it that it caused the flywheel to twist in mid air, causing the ring gear to contact the concrete first. The teeth took a little chunk of concrete out of the floor. Most of the force was absorbed by about 3-4 teeth. The puller absorbed some of the impact since the flywheel rotated about the ring gear upon impact and caused the puller to strick the floor as well.
    No visible damage was done to the flywheel that I can see. The teeth are all intact with only a slight nick on the opposite sides that the bendix engages on. Did I get lucky and this flywheel can still be used? I'm just a little worried that the ring gear could be a little bent or the magnets, which are glued in I think, may come loose while riding. Eventhough the magnets should be held in place through centripetal force. So what do you think?

As long as the teeth didn't break on the bendix side, it's fine.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X