'95 Daytona ran fine - cooled - then wouldn't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Daytona ran fine - cooled - then wouldn't start

This may be the classic scenario for some sort of seizure that you all may recognize immediately.. anyway, it was running fine, last skier got off, she sat for about an hour.. and then wouldn't start for the next skier. Battery seems strong... you can hear the starter engage and the motor jump a bit... but it doesn't turn over.... as if something's locked up... is this the typical MO for a seized engine?... I removed the plugs and they looked normal enough to me... how do I tell if the motor is seized or the pump bearings seized... or?? She's had a long, reliable life... so if she's gone, she's gone.. I can't imagine it would be a good idea to put money in her... anyway... any thoughts? thanks.

That's actually usually just a dead battery or bad connection. Take the battery out, throw it on a charger, and sand off all the connection.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I should be so lucky. I guessed.. based on the way she was used (started/stopped) all day.. that the battery was fine.. but the simple things first right?. Thanks for the (very) quick reply... I'll charge the battery and see what happens.

Comment

Once the battery gets to it's critical dump point, it just won't have enough juice to fire anymore, there's VERY little warning. On my ski I get about 5 seconds of reduced cranking speed as a warning, that's it. It takes several minutes of WOT running to recharge from just one start. If it was being started quite a bit, I'm not surprised it was drained. The stock batteries are only good for about 30 seconds of total cranking and firing time on a full charge. Once they hit 50%-60% they will not fire the engine. Also, once a regular wet cell gets that low, it's on it's last leg. Normal batteries do NOT like to be discharged, they need to be kept topped off. Don't be surprised if you need a new battery soon, if not now. I suggest an AGM.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

just a follow-up.... did charge up the battery... and then bothered to get my lazy butt underneath for a look ... sure enough, a nice big rock wedged in there... thanks for encouraging me to look for the simple things instead of leaping to 'worst-case'...

Comment

Working...
          X