Tech 5 - How to flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech 5 - How to flush

This tip explains to you how to properly flush your ski after each ride.

The end of the video was edited out in post production by PWCtv. A critical part of the segment was ommited, that being the need to blow the water from the exhuast system at the very end. After you turn off the hose, give the ski 4-5 wide open throttle pulls to blow the excess water from the exhaust system, then shut off the engine.

See it on our YouTube Channel:
    https://youtu.be/txxh43WR5R8

5.8 MB High-res (Cable, DSL, T1+): click here

.5 MB Low-res (Dial-up modem): click here

[ February 08, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    Last edited by Ericka-SBT; 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM.

Bryan, I'm an amatuer on watercraft, but the other question-comment I had on this video is, aren't you supposed to make absolutely sure that you start the ski and have it running BEFORE you turn on the hose water to flush? I heard that turning the hose water on first could instantly fill up your water box (basically the exhaust pipe) with water which could then get into your cylinders through the exhaust port and be a BFP?

Comment

That's correct. As shown in the video you turn on the ski first. You never want the water on and not the ski.

[ May 23, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Another thing worth mentioning - DON'T flush a hot motor. If the engine is too hot to put your hand on, it's too hot to flush.

Rapid cooling of the cylinders can cause cracks, seizure, or loosening of retaining bolts.

Comment

I can't say I agree with that. If the cooling system is working correctly, you can flush at anytime. Granted, if you had an overheat problem, and the engine was above normal temperature due to lack of cooling, I wouldn't run cold water through it.

I would not be concerned about running tap water through a normal operating temp engine. Heck - the lake temps are often the same or just slightly above the tap temps! The engines run just fine on it!

Comment

When we were in Florida all the rental places had Yamaha's and in the video it was a Yamaha. Is it just a quincident or are they easier to flush than other watercraft?

Comment

Coinceident.

Comment

Re: Tech 5 - How to flush

I've always flushed my ski with the hose at full blast and the video said only about 1/4 open is that bad??
                Mike
                SSxi for sale looking for an 1100 ZXi

Comment

Yes it is. Full house pressure at idle on some skis is enough to flood the engine. A safe rule-of-thumb would be - if the pressure is so great you can't drink from it - it's too high for the ski too.

Comment

how long should i leave the hose and engine on? also, does it matter when i flush ( like should it be right after riding it, or does matter if it is a couple days later? )
                    GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was instructed to flush my ski SD GTI 720 1997 by hooking up the hose to the port that is located in the back by the throttle exit and run it for 5min. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by tiplickhahaha
                        how long should i leave the hose and engine on? also, does it matter when i flush ( like should it be right after riding it, or does matter if it is a couple days later? )
                        Watch the video, then ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by gary Surak
                          I was instructed to flush my ski SD GTI 720 1997 by hooking up the hose to the port that is located in the back by the throttle exit and run it for 5min. Is that correct?
                          Yes.

Comment

Working...
                          X