This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterization Instructions

If you are going to store your craft for a couple months or more, you need to winterize. The purpose of this is to make sure the internal parts of the engine do not start to rust, and to make sure the fuel in the ski does not start to break-down and oxidize.

The first thing is to add stabilizer to the fuel. You can get fuel stabilizer at any marine or auto supply store, just mix it in the ratio according to the back of the bottle, and top off the tank with the stabilized fuel. After you add the stabilizer to the fuel tank, then you have to run the stabilized fuel through the lines and the carbs, you can do that when you flush the engine or on the last ski trip you make, just make sure you have run it enough to pump the stabilized fuel through the carbs.

The next thing you should do is flush the engine as you do after each ride, except you will fog the motor just before blowing out the excess water. Connect the flush kit, start the engine, turn on the water. Let the craft run for about 5 minutes at idle to flush out the cooling system.

See this video for flush procedures: http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=12000

To fog the ski, you need a can of Fogging Oil, available at nearly any dealer or auto parts store for a buck or two. It's basically foaming oil in a spray can that you can inject into the air intake or directly through the carbs, to coat the engine internally with a thick layer of protective oil. Spray down each carb for 30 seconds.

Some skis will have little plugs on the airbox over the carbs, that you can remove for access. Some skis such as the Yamaha powervalve 1200's have no access, and you are not able to fog the motor properly, you must pour a heavy amount of oil down the plug holes and bump the motor over several times to distribute it as best you can. After fogging is complete, put 1oz of two-stroke oil into each spark plug hole and bump the motor over a few times.

After you finish the fogging procedure, shut off the hose water, blip the throttle a couple times and shut the motor off.

Contributed by Dank - "You do have to drain the exhaust pipe on the 770's. Depending on the year the drain will be located in different spots. But look under the rear of the pipe and there will be a 10mm fitting that you remove and the pipe will drain out all the water."

Lubricate all the ski's grease fittings and cables. You need to have a grease gun and a cable luber comes in very handy. There are several grease points on a craft, usually on the drive train (pto, pump, drive shaft holder).

When all the lubing is complete, then you should remove the battery and place it on a maintenance charge. We recommend a Battery Tender. You can buy a battery tender at motorcycle shops, or several places online. Do not use a trickle charger; if left on too long it could overcharge the battery. A Battery Tender is a special charger that you can leave the battery hooked up to indefinitely. Maintain the battery's electrolyte levels with distilled water.

If you have a Sea-Doo you also need to change your pump oil once a year, when you winterize for storage. See this thread for instructions:
    http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ead.php?t=4088

Now that all the internal work is done the only thing left to do is wash and cover your craft.

Attached are the Sea-Doo factory procedures:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Technical Support; 10-03-2006, 08:11 AM.

Re: Winterization Instructions

Thank You for providing this information.
    Great site!!!

Comment

If you get a rebuilt motor from you guys, can you just leave it alone over the winter? Instead of doing break-in now and winterizing, could I just leave it alone until next spring? Or should I just go ahead and break it in and winterize?

Comment

If you do not run it, you will not have to winterize. THe very best thing would be to leave it bagged.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How do I flush the ski, and then fog it? If it does not have anything to cool it how can I run the motor for a min or more to fog it? and this would be out of the water of course so that it would not pump any more water though it. Its -30 Deg here in the winter and I don't want a cracked block.

mike

Comment

You fog while still running hose water through it.

Comment

There is no need to run antifreeze thru the engine? I have heard running the antifreeze thru the engine will displace the pooled water in lines and nothing will freeze?

Comment

Only Sea-Doo's cooling design has large pockets to trap standing water. In colder climates Sea-Doo's do need some anti-freeze.

Comment

I was told by a guy that has a 2 stroke outboard boat and motor that he runs his motor dry of fuel so he does not have to worry about stabilization and old fuel when he winterizes. He felt the same could be done to my Polaris jet ski and I could leave the tank empty. Is this true?

Comment

On small bore low HP engines, that is true. On PWCs is a really great way to lean seize or burn holes through pistons.

Comment

Just an FYI For winterization I run antifreeze through the motor. I have an old fire extinguisher that I cleaned out, I then fill it with antifreeze and presurize it with my air compressor.

1.) add stablizer to fuel.
                      2.) flush the system hooked to the hose (running on stabilized fuel)
                      3.) open air cleaner and spray fogging oil into the carbs until the motor blows heavy smoke and dies.
                      4.) replace air cleaner
                      5.) remove spark plugs spray fogging oil 30 sec each cyl. repalce plugs turn motor over but do not start.
                      6.) Use a shop vac to get all water out of hull.
                      7.) remove clear water line from exaust port on rear of ski (Sea Doo) place the line over the fire extinguisher and energize the system with antifreeze until you see it come through the clear exit tubes on the pipe and head. (usually takes about 1/4 - 1/2 gallon)
                      8.) place a bucket at the rear of the ski.
                      9.) replace the hose on the exaust port. (the extra antifreeze will now drain out of the exaust port into the bucket)
                      10.) change the pump oil and wash the ski.
                      11.) remove the seat and remove the water with a shop vac again from inside the hull.
                      12.) place a 1x2 across the hull under the seat to prop it open just a hair, Install cover and put it away.

Comment

So you should not run the gas all the way out of the carbs? You should just put stabilizer in?

Comment

Correct.

Fill the tank and add StaBil. Make sure you run the ski enough that the StaBil is in the carbs.

Comment

how would you winterize a 2000 gp1200r ?????

Comment

Exactly as the article already states.

Comment

Working...
                              X