Oil Change, Sea-Doo 4-TEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change, Sea-Doo 4-TEC

For the Do-it-yourselfers out there, here's how to change your own oil!

You will need the following:

Oil suction pump, vaccuum canister type reccomended
    E12 Torx bit socket
    Metric sockets (optional)
    Ratchet
    3L Sea-Doo 5W-40 Mineral oil for SC, 10W-40 for NA
    New Oil Filter
    New oil filter canister cover and bolt o-rings (optional)

Make sure the craft is level. Start the engine and let it idle for 30 seconds.

OPTIONAL
    Unsnap the cooling reserve tank from the seat brace, then remove the four bolts securing the seat brace to the hull. Set it and the air duct attached to it, off to the side.

Next, use a small tube with your oil pump (we used Sea-Doo RAVE valve lines) and feed it down the dipstick tube. Remove the oil fill cap and suck out all the oil you can get, which will be 3L.

Next, use an E12 torx socket to loosen the oil filter cap located right behind the engine. Pull the bolt straight up and gently wiggle the cap off with it. The cap may be difficult to remove, you can pry gently with a screwdriver between the canister and cover if you need to. Remove the old filter and replace it with a new filter. If the o-ring on the center bolt or the o-ring on the cover is damaged, replace them also. Lubricate the o-rings with engine oil and be sure to center the filter and cover while installing, making sure the o-ring lines up with the step on the filter.

Refill the oil system with 3L of Sea-Doo oil and replace the dipstick. Replace the seat bracket and coolant reserve tank.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Technical Support; 07-01-2004, 04:20 PM.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Re: Oil Change, Sea-Doo 4-TEC

I just changed the oil in my 04 GTX for the 1st time. I recently bought the 2003 SeaDoo PWC Tech Manual CD on EBay but set out with just the SBT Tech Article. Apparently there have been some changes.
    1. E-10 Torx Bit socket fits the oil filter cap bolt (not E-12)
    2. I did not follow (or look at) the below procedure for allowing maximum oil draining. Next time I will try.
    3. Count on breaking the oil filter cap O ring. I had to pry the cap off (gently) and you will break this O ring (My thief of a dealer, Casey Cycle City charges $4 for this 15 cent O ring and $12 for the filter).
    4. The SeaDoo replacement oil filter (part number 420956741) has the "Champion" brand name on it, S 147 18 : 03 RBX - X 347
    5. The Oil filter I removed has the ROTAX brand on it S 339 11 : 33 RB-X336
    6. You will encounter 3 O rings all together during the filter change. The other 2 will probably rarely need replacing.
    7. Due to message size limit, I will follow up with info from the 2003 Manual
    Dave Z

Comment

Thank you for the updates - our guide was written from a 2003 unit.

Comment

Re: Oil Change, Sea-Doo 4-TEC 2 0f

Attached is a Doc with info from the 2003 Tech Manual
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dzuskin; 08-13-2004, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Are you able to give the SeaDoo part numbers of the 3 o'rings you require or better still, the standard o'ring dimensions/part numbers. Can you advise what shop you bought the service cd-rom from.? Also a source for the vacuum pump would be handy.Thanks
          Last edited by Colin; 08-27-2004, 12:22 AM.
          Colin

Comment

on the manual it says 10w-40 for the sc,which is correct ?
            thanks

Comment

If your temps are 90+ use 5w. Either will work just fine though.

Comment

Can we get some clarification on where exeactly the o-rings go on the oil filter cap, since I'll be changing mine this weekend. My dealer gave me two large rings where one of them is very thin. Txs Gary

Comment

Re: Oil Change, Sea-Doo 4-TEC 2 0f

Originally posted by dzuskin
                  Attached is a Doc with info from the 2003 Tech Manual
                  The front of the engine must be tilted down approximately 15 degrees to facilitate the removal of the oil. Raise the rear of the watercraft accordingly.

2004 4-tec SC sea doo shop manual cd

Do search on ebay for shop manual.

regards,

Comment

Working...
                  X