Oil Change, Yamaha 4 Stroke Skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change, Yamaha 4 Stroke Skis

If you have the right tools ahead of time, this is a 10 min job.

The oil and filter should be changed after the first 10 hours, and every 50 hours after that for optimal engine protection.

Yamalube 4 is the stock oil, Valvoline 10W-40 is also highly recommended.

A suction oil pump is recommended for oil removal. Drill units can work, however you need to make sure the tube you use is going all the way into the oil resevoir. Suction units also make it much easier to tell exactly how much oil you got out.

The stock filter is a 65mm, most aftermarket replacement units are 67mm. A 65mm/67mm combo cup adaptor is recommended for filter removal/installation.

Step One is to idle the ski for 5 minutes on the hose to heat and disperse the oil.

Step Two is to remove the oil cap and suck out all the oil you can. Make sure the suction tube goes all the way to the bottom and doesn't get hung up on a ledge inside. You will get out just over 2 1/2 quarts.

Step Three is to remove the old filter. It is located on the left side of the ski near the rear, under the airbox. You can remove the airbox cover for easier access. Simply slide the retaining clips back around the sides of the cover, remove the two center screws and pull up. It's rubber sealed and may stick a bit. Use the ratchet and cap tool to remove the old filter, placing rags under it to catch any dripings. Once you get the filter loose, screw it off by hand and tilt it up to make sure it doesn't spill.

Step Four is to install the new filter. Coat the new filter's rubber gasket with fresh oil, using your finger. Hand thread the new filter onto the engine and tighten to snug with the cap tool. Remove the rags from the hull and wipe up and drippings.

Step Five is to refill the oil resevior. Check your suction pump to verify how much was extracted, and refill to just under that amount. Replace the cap, and start the engine at idle for 5 seconds to distribute the oil to the new filter.

CAUTION: It is very important on these models NOT to overfill the resevoir, in fact, I wouldn't even fill to the F mark on the dipstick. The units come stock about 1/2" below this mark, and that's where I recommend it be refilled to MAX.

When these units are overfilled, oil will be blown out the breather tube into the airbox. It will coat the paper filter element, ruining the filter, and bringing performance down due to lack of airflow. New filters are $120+.

Step Six is to check the oil level and top off as needed.

Button the airbox back up and you're all set!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Technical Support; 07-01-2004, 04:15 PM.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Re: Oil Change, Yamaha FX140/HO

Great info!!:)

What are you trying to show in picture 223.jpg?
    For readability purposes it would be nice if you referenced the pictures in the text.
    Any chance on getting a 'How-to-winterize' section prior season end?

Comment

223 is the breather outlet oil spills out.

Comment

Do you have any oil filter p/n for the "02 FX140??? Thanks!!!

Comment

Element assy, oil : part # 5GH-13440-00-00 $17.30
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Any oil filter that fits a Yamaha R1 bike motor.

Comment

Thanks for the article. I have an 2003 FX Cruiser and just added the HO Cruiser to my line-up last week. The manual recommends 10w-30 which is what I used on my last oil change. I see you prefer 10w-40 - any particular reason?

Also #2 - manual shows just over 2 quarts without filter replacement and another figure (don't have my manual handy but I think it is a few ounces more) with replacement then shows total capacity of 4+ quarts under both figures - pretty confusing. I have not changed the oil filter in the 03 (see next point) so based on your article, it looks like I should expect to use about 2.5 quarts with the oil filter change.

Also #3 - I agree that chaning the oil filter should be done with the first oil change but manual says to change filter at first 100 hours.
              thanks again for the article.

Comment

10W30 or 10W40 is fine either way it makes no difference at all.

Watercraft engines are not a completely draining system. You can only change about 1/2 - 3/4 of the capacity at a time.

Comment

Re: Oil Change, Yamaha 4 Stroke Skis

Here is the video: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=123004

Comment

Working...
                  X